Buying first gaming monitor

Permabanned

Not sure how they justify going from £268 to £329 when the 27inch VG279QM is £366 on the web? Thats crazy. All those new picks are VA and your price range aint great that IPS was a bargain. If i was presses id say 240hz VA 0.5ms sounds ok but i never seen a review.

Maybe its decent, Stay away from 144hz i would take a punt on 240hz VA if the reviews are ok but the 280hz 27inch 1080p VG259QM at £366 would be worth saving for. The MAG251RX would be too. Could you maybe add £100?

Your FPS dream is 240hz IPS 1ms panels nothing will sway me on that but its first generation tech if you wanted TN there are cheap fast TN panels indeed the 0.1 0.3ms Acer TN 240hz was around £270 but TN looks not as good as IPS. But the panels i saw like the £299 AW2518HF were not bad for TN. Choose wisely bud.

Permabanned
I like the look of the MAG251RX but it has no freesync I think I'll just try to stretch the budget a bit

It like the VG279QM and VG259QM are Freesync, But now it works on Nvidia mostly they call it now Gsync compatible. So those three work on AMD or Nvidia. The MAG is very good they say, Good colors. If you deep dive into this you will find a Nvidia certified list of monitors mine was in there and it works on Nvidia.

Permabanned
I think I'll definitely get the VG279QM after this advice

There are more widespread users ans reviews of it than the 24. If the 24 pleases me im sure at £366 it will be a proper bargain. I did notice recently on mine one game has flickering until i reboot. I dont know if its gsync firmware or drivers or the overclock but i changed the cable and went down to 270hz over 280hz and its been two days since and no flicker.

Not much else i can say for this price, 27 inch can do 4k also if needed and worried about aliasing. Just buy a better GPU next time you get some money. And if you find flickering the cable i tried was the Lindy DP 1.4 Anthra 2M.

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adap...MI2ojA1MC16wIVg9eyCh2sBA8rEAQYASABEgIsE_D_BwE

Associate
OP
There are more widespread users ans reviews of it than the 24. If the 24 pleases me im sure at £366 it will be a proper bargain. I did notice recently on mine one game has flickering until i reboot. I dont know if its gsync firmware or drivers or the overclock but i changed the cable and went down to 270hz over 280hz and its been two days since and no flicker.

Not much else i can say for this price, 27 inch can do 4k also if needed and worried about aliasing. Just buy a better GPU next time you get some money. And if you find flickering the cable i tried was the Lindy DP 1.4 Anthra 2M.

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/audio-video-c107/2m-displayport-1-4-cable-anthra-line-p11071/s11229?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=2m-displayport-cable-anthra-line&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&cid=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ojA1MC16wIVg9eyCh2sBA8rEAQYASABEgIsE_D_BwE

What do you mean by '27 inch can do 4k also if needed' (sorry slightly confused)

Permabanned
What do you mean by '27 inch can do 4k also if needed' (sorry slightly confused)

Software 4k can be done in a 1:1 pixel ratio if the ase resolution is 1080p and the target is 4k. They sync and match because 4k is exactly 4times 1080p. So its very easy to simply sample each pixel four times to get 4k.

Its called Nvidia Dynamic Super Resolution, And all you need to do it in the Nvidia options where it says DSR tick the box that says x4 and below put the smoothness to 0% from the default 33%. Games will now detect your monitor as either a 1080p or 4k so you can have either.

Its not true 4k, But its still great as enchancing textures, Shadows, Removing jaggies and others. You keep whatever hertz your monitor is so you can do 4k 280hz if you want there is nothing stopping you.

Associate
OP
By the way I meant the
VG259QM
They have similar names wich is confusing. Thank you for all the advice it has helped a lot and just out of curiosity how long a life (the monitor) do you think it will have.

Permabanned
By the way I meant the
VG259QM
They have similar names wich is confusing. Thank you for all the advice it has helped a lot and just out of curiosity how long a life (the monitor) do you think it will have.

No idea, 3yr warranty just be aware of gsync compatibility flickering. Theres nothing you can do about it its basically not working right in all games i have to power cycle my pc to find a non flickers image in world of tanks. Even though they advertised as flicker free and raised the price...

But a dedicated module is £500 for gsync displays so we must tolerate Nvidias lies and hiding of facts.

Back
Top Bottom