Buying house Sittingbourne/Rainham/Gillingham

Associate
Dear members

I am planning to move with my wife And 4years and 1yrs old kids.

At the moment we are actively searching area which is suitable for us especially kids' growing perspective. I have find quite good detached and semi-detached house in Sittingbourne but I have found quite a lot -ve reviews for Sittingbourne. So now we are considering Rainham(Kent), Rochester and Gillingham as well in our price range (325k-350k).

Could you please advise what areas we should avoid and consider especially in Rainham(Kent), Rochester and Gillingham. Also should we think about Sittingbourne or not?

Thanks
Inaaizy

Associate
OP
Thanks robfosters for your quick reply.

I have not looked favershamso far but will do.

Reason to sleect these areas due to my daily travel to London city, intial plan was to move to Dartford as it has cheaper travel but I couldn't find nice house in my price range (350k semi-detached) so I start to look further to consider these areas.

Could you please highlight why I shouldn't think about Rainham/Rochester/Gillingham which will help me to understand area more clearly?

What areas are highly avoided for Sittingbourne?and what area are recommended in Sittingbourne to live with family?

Soldato
Every place will have both good and bad areas, spend a bit of time in the places your are considering before committing to something.

Thought about Egham/Englefield green? Commute would be okish, some good stuff used to come up there when I was living in the area.

Associate
intial plan was to move to Dartford as it has cheaper travel but I couldn't find nice house in my price range (350k semi-detached)
Really? A quick search shows that there are quite a few options in that range in the Dartford area.

Soldato
A work mate used to live in Sittingbourne and from what I can tell the further south of the train station the better, away from the town centre. And avoid the new builds.
From what I heard about Dartford it's similar to Sittingbourne.

If you want to be near a train station, Rainham is best option in the Medway Towns, then Rochester/Strood, avoid Chatham/Gillingham if you want to be near the station. All areas have good and bad spots, Chatham and Gillingham just have more bad spots and a lot more chavs. Luton in Chatham is to be avoid at all costs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d20Lel75ScI

You could take a look at Longfield and Meopham, but they are more expensive so less property for the money, particularly Meopham. Istead Rise is also an option, but you would need to drive to Meopham/Gravesend for the train.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59154888.html <about as cheap as it gets for a 3 bed in Meopham. Also only on the Victoria Train Line, there are a few alternative London stations if you change at Bromley South, but these trains are limited.

Associate
OP
Really? A quick search shows that there are quite a few options in that range in the Dartford area.
Same range in Sittingbourne and Rainham gives much better house, so that's why started to consider these areas as well. but you are right i can see houses in that range as well.

Associate
OP
A work mate used to live in Sittingbourne and from what I can tell the further south of the train station the better, away from the town centre. And avoid the new builds.
From what I heard about Dartford it's similar to Sittingbourne.

If you want to be near a train station, Rainham is best option in the Medway Towns, then Rochester/Strood, avoid Chatham/Gillingham if you want to be near the station. All areas have good and bad spots, Chatham and Gillingham just have more bad spots and a lot more chavs. Luton in Chatham is to be avoid at all costs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d20Lel75ScI

You could take a look at Longfield and Meopham, but they are more expensive so less property for the money, particularly Meopham. Istead Rise is also an option, but you would need to drive to Meopham/Gravesend for the train.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59154888.html <about as cheap as it gets for a 3 bed in Meopham. Also only on the Victoria Train Line, there are a few alternative London stations if you change at Bromley South, but these trains are limited.

Thanks for details; now looking in Rainham, by search Sittingbourne also shows more -ve reviews especially Kemsley area.
I don't mind if I have house within 2 miles from station but big concern is nice area + good community + less chavs.

If you/anyone could suggest highly recommended and highly avoided areas in
  1. Rainham
  2. Sittingbourne
  3. Rochester
that would be great.

Soldato
Lived in Gillingham and Rochester and worked in Medway for 2 years.

Avoid Strood, Gillingham and Chatham. Rochester is alright, so is Faversham and Sittingbourne is okay, Maidstone is alright too.

The new flats in Gillingham near the new Asda are quite nice.

Associate
Hi,

I live in London and planning to move to kent for grammar schools. I like the house in gillingham ( ME7) for very good price. But looking at the reviews I am scared now.I really don't want to risk it with my two little one.

I really appropriate your advice

Thank you in Advance

Soldato
Traffic in Dartford was hellish 5 years ago and I doubt it has got better. I assume you're on the train, I'd stay outside the M25 personally. I used to live near West Malling, very nice but pricey these days I guess. But that side of Maidstone is ok.

Associate
Thank u so much for your time. Could you kindly advice on that particular area if u know please?

Much appreciated ur time.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom