Buying privately - view, tax, insure and drive home in one day?

Associate
I have urgent need to pick up a vehicle and need to really get the whole job done in a day, is it possible?

I'll be making several viewings, mostly private, After the usual checks and a test drive if acceptable drive the car home immediately.

With the tax changes I'll need to tax it immediately online from my phone. Is this possible without the V5 in my name?

For insurance is it best to have a saved quote ready to go and if the deal is made then a quick call and make it live?

My wife has the ability to drive other cars with only 3rd party, but I assume that the car in question would require a full policy by someone else for this to apply?

Are there any easier ways to do this (without returning later), have I missed anything, any tips?

Soldato
Regarding tax - yes that's fine.
Regarding insurance - yes that's the best way of doing it.
Regarding wife 3rd party - yes that's generally in T&C's that most insurance companies put out. Furthermore, several companies are now excluding "wife/partner" as being able to drive your car 3rd party.

Soldato
Yes, did it with my first car.
Have a quote saved (with reference number), then call and quote that reference.
Seller will have V5, so you can tax it from the V5C/2 that they will give you when you buy it.
You are quite right about wife's insurance - Gaygle's response is spot on. No there isn't an easier way, this way is very easy...it's one phone call and 2 mins on the DVLA website.

Back
Top Bottom