Buying share of flat freehold?

Associate
I live in a development of 62 flats. The freehold is up for sale.

What do people think regards to buying a share of it? The current leasehold has circa 91 years remaining (off the top of my head) and the cost to buy the freehold is roughly £375k if I remember right, shared across the 62 flats (so £6k/flat if everyone is in, I'd guess £12k if we're part of the 50%).

I'm not 100% sure what to do. It'd be good to have a share of the freehold (as it gets us out of the leasehold / potential for service fee increases etc), but I'm not sure. We'd be looking at selling the flat in the next 12-24 months probably - would having a share of the freehold really make it more attractive to buyers?

Anyone got any experiences of this?

Cheers!

Man of Honour
You will never get enough leaseholders to agree to purchase the freehold in a block that big.

Not true, my mate got the whole lot for the entire block. Every resident agreed. Although he says it's more of a long term investment for his kids than any short term profit.

Tbh I have no idea how it all works.

Soldato
Do it if you get the chance. You'll never be held to ransom over ground rent (freeholder can basically charge whatever he likes. Costs a fortune here). You'll have to weigh up outlay vs potential rent savings and how long to recover said money and whether it will increase the value of the property - speak to an Estate Agent.

Soldato
Do it if you get the chance. You'll never be held to ransom over ground rent (freeholder can basically charge whatever he likes. Costs a fortune here). You'll have to weigh up outlay vs potential rent savings and how long to recover said money and whether it will increase the value of the property - speak to an Estate Agent.

Not if you have a statutory extension. The ground rent becomes 'peppercorn', I.e. nil.

Back
Top Bottom