Buzzing/ static noise coming out from headphones - MSI MPG Z390 EDGE AC

Associate
Hi all,

Since weekend I have noticed that there is some sort of weird buzzing/static noise coming out of my headphones (like a long beeeep and crackling which changes in intensity), which was not there before. I have built this pc in November 2019. I have tested it with different headphones cord, same issue, however when i plugged it into my SO's laptop, noise wasn't there anymore, therefore i believe this is not an issue with headphones, but rather with my motherboard. Also, these noises start as soon as you power on pc. The sound is mostly noticeable in quiet environment, or when gaming at night. Front jack works fine. Issue is only with the rear jack.

So far I have tried the following to fix it but nothing helped:

- Updated Realtek drivers
- Used different headphones and the noises persisted
- Disassembled pc and rebuilt it again. Resitted Io shield and checked all cable connections
- tried using ground loop isolator but it made things worse, sound went really quiet and one headphone did not work at all. It is an interesting finding as people are suggesting that it may be issues with jack ground, because if the ground was there, the isolator would have worked as intended.
- Changed power cord
- Changed power strips
- Took pc to different room to test other wall sockets in house

I am running out of options on how to fix this. Please can someone help me as this issue is driving me crazy.

PC Spec:
Motherboard: MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
CPU: intel i7-9700k
RAM: Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
GPU: 2070 Windforce 8GB
SSD1: 860 QVO 1TB
SSD2: 120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD
HDD: 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD
PSU: Corsair 750W CS Series Modular 80 Plus Gold
Headphones: ATH-M50X

Soldato
Bypass the onboard audio with a USB DAC/soundcard. Even a cheap one like Creative Play3 or the G1 will sound better than onboard anyway.

Do you have a mic plugged in somewhere?

Associate
OP
Bypass the onboard audio with a USB DAC/soundcard. Even a cheap one like Creative Play3 or the G1 will sound better than onboard anyway.

Do you have a mic plugged in somewhere?

I have a mic plugged in, but its not it. I have tried plugging in only power cord and headphones, but the noises were still present.

I have Creative Play3, which i use for mic, but i find it unusable for headphones as it produces insane amounts of white noise.

Soldato
I have a mic plugged in, but its not it. I have tried plugging in only power cord and headphones, but the noises were still present.

Ah, I see.

I have Creative Play3, which i use for mic, but i find it unusable for headphones as it produces insane amounts of white noise.

Might be faulty, if the settings are correct in the software (Normal Gain v High Gain any difference? Speakers/Headphones Configuration: Headphones?). Just wondering as yours may have come with different default settings. Haven't had an issue with two Play3 and one G1 so far, though I've heard they produce white noise with very low resistance headsets/phones (like 16 Ohms). Usually they are fine for 32-300 Ohms.

Although it's a motherboard issue since the laptop doesn't do the same, may have been better off posting in the Sound City forum as there's quite a few who frequent it that really know their audio stuff.

Issue may or may not be related to a Windows update affecting Realtek drivers: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/sound-suddenly-stopped-working-help-please.18876626/

Associate
OP
Might be faulty, if the settings are correct in the software (Normal Gain v High Gain any difference? Speakers/Headphones Configuration: Headphones?). Just wondering as yours may have come with different default settings. Haven't had an issue with two Play3 and one G1 so far, though I've heard they produce white noise with very low resistance headsets/phones (like 16 Ohms). Usually they are fine for 32-300 Ohms.

Although it's a motherboard issue since the laptop doesn't do the same, may have been better off posting in the Sound City forum as there's quite a few who frequent it that really know their audio stuff.

Issue may or may not be related to a Windows update affecting Realtek drivers: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/sound-suddenly-stopped-working-help-please.18876626/

I have posted it in Sound City as well.

Talking about SB play 3, i have lowered everything to zero in sound blaster app, but white noise is still there. It seems like it is constant and doesn't matter the computer volume is 1 ir 100. My headphones are ATH-M50X

I have read the following: https://blog.vortigaunt.net/fix-the-weird-audio-and-the-hiss-noise-sound-blaster-play-3/, but i am worried that if i change drivers my mic wont work as before. I have mod mic 5 and pc does not supply enough power for people to hear me properly, hence why i use SB play 3.

Soldato
Talking about SB play 3, i have lowered everything to zero in sound blaster app, but white noise is still there. It seems like it is constant and doesn't matter the computer volume is 1 ir 100. My headphones are ATH-M50X

Yeah those are 38 Ohms, shouldn't be an issue.

I have read the following: https://blog.vortigaunt.net/fix-the-weird-audio-and-the-hiss-noise-sound-blaster-play-3/, but i am worried that if i change drivers my mic wont work as before. I have mod mic 5 and pc does not supply enough power for people to hear me properly, hence why i use SB play 3.

Can't advise on that. Never needed to do what's described in that link.

I'll post back if I think of anything else you could try. Hope you find a solution.

Soldato
Front jack works fine. Issue is only with the rear jack.

- tried using ground loop isolator but it made things worse, sound went really quiet and one headphone did not work at all. It is an interesting finding as people are suggesting that it may be issues with jack ground, because if the ground was
In any modern motherboard headphones are suppposed to be attached to front output of the case.
Besides possible difference in lacking some kind opamp rear I/O wiring goes long distance on otherboard, which is full of possible interference sending wiring.

Ground loop isolators are for cutting ground loop between two mains connected devices.
They don't do anything to interference present when other device is non-grounded.

Soldato
SB Play 3 is no doubt very cheaply made, so might lack good enough power filtering etc.
Having sound card in end of USB instead of PCIe slot doesn't release it from need of that.

Especially when that Audio-Technica is basically stupidly sensitive and could be called as EMI magnet.
42 mV and 50 μW is enough for 90dB.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50x.pdf

That makes it insanely vulnerable to interference.
Wouldn't wonder any if you are able to hear something just by touching connector's sleeve with finger of one hand and tip or ring with finger of other hand.
I mean only couple millivolts of interference signal would be big part of that 42 mV.
While headphone needing 200 mV signal level wouldn't much notice that same level of interference.

Associate
OP
SB Play 3 is no doubt very cheaply made, so might lack good enough power filtering etc.
Having sound card in end of USB instead of PCIe slot doesn't release it from need of that.

Especially when that Audio-Technica is basically stupidly sensitive and could be called as EMI magnet.
42 mV and 50 μW is enough for 90dB.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50x.pdf

That makes it insanely vulnerable to interference.
Wouldn't wonder any if you are able to hear something just by touching connector's sleeve with finger of one hand and tip or ring with finger of other hand.
I mean only couple millivolts of interference signal would be big part of that 42 mV.
While headphone needing 200 mV signal level wouldn't much notice that same level of interference.

The thing is that i have tested my motherboard with my other half's headphones - Bose QC25-SAM-WHT QuietComfort 25 and the interference / sounds were still there, thats why it made me question my hardware rather than my headphones.

Associate
OP
In any modern motherboard headphones are suppposed to be attached to front output of the case.
Besides possible difference in lacking some kind opamp rear I/O wiring goes long distance on otherboard, which is full of possible interference sending wiring.

Ground loop isolators are for cutting ground loop between two mains connected devices.
They don't do anything to interference present when other device is non-grounded.

I have been told that front jack can pick up more interference than rear as sound has to come all the way to the front through HD audio cable. In theory it makes sense, so i figured that rear jack should not have any sounds at all, it should be complete silence (same as front jack now).

In terms of ground loop, I understand that it is designed for headphones to remove electrical interference, unless im wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato
The thing is that i have tested my motherboard with my other half's headphones - Bose QC25-SAM-WHT QuietComfort 25 and the interference / sounds were still there, thats why it made me question my hardware rather than my headphones.
They really aren't much better
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BoseQuietComfort25Passive.pdf
(neither in accuracy of signal reproduction)

250 ohm Beyerdynamic would be that comparison for something more resistant against fixed voltage causing interferences and background statics.

Soldato
In terms of ground loop, i used this one... I understand that it is designed for headphones to remove electrical interference, unless im wrong.
Better remove that link.
Naming/linking OcUK's competitors is against forum rules.

And it won't help to interference in signal itself.
Specifically ground loop happens when two devices in audio signal chain (like some player/radio etc and amplifier for speakers) don't get same ground reference from their power supply.
Devices being connected to different wall outlets behind differect circuit breakers/fuses would be typical situation.
At that point what ever voltage difference there's between ground of these devices causes current in ground of signal wire in between them.

Associate
OP
They really aren't much better
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BoseQuietComfort25Passive.pdf
(neither in accuracy of signal reproduction)

250 ohm Beyerdynamic would be that comparison for something more resistant against fixed voltage causing interferences and background statics.

Hm, so you are saying that both headphones are prone for interference and static, but then shouldn't they pick up interference at the front as well?

Also, what would be your suggestion to sort this out? At the moment i am not planning to buy new headphones as I bought these a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom