Bye bye Nokia Phones

Associate
Inevitable I suppose but still seems a shame..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29724072

Microsoft is ditching the Nokia brand name from new devices, less than a year after acquiring the Finnish mobile firm.

New Nokia Lumia smartphones will instead by known as Microsoft Lumia, the company said.

Nokia's non-mobile division, which is not owned by Microsoft, will continue to use the name.

Soldato
This was part of the buyout. Microsoft only got to use the Nokia brand for a limited time. I believe the real Nokia can start releasing phones again at some point too.

Soldato
Actually it's not ten years. Under the terms of the deal Nokia can begin releasing phones again after the 31st of December 2015, so in just over a years time. Microsoft can use the Nokia name if it wants for ten years as-well so it could get confusing... although I think that won't happen Microsoft will just use their own name.

No idea if Nokia will start releasing phones again, but they could if they want!

Last edited:
Soldato
The Nokia name stays with the "dumb" phone range.

The Smart phone range Running WP are known as Lumias.

Nokia are utterly out of the Phone game, every element that they had was bought from MS, even the confusing mess of manufacturing lines and all R&D in their mobile space.

Soldato
Actually you are wrong. Nokia retained their manufacturing plants in both India and Korea and currently lease them to Microsoft. Nokia actually retained a surprising amount of things, though they did lose all of their phone design staff etc. and the Lumia name too.

Just pointing out that under the terms of the deal Nokia are fully within their rights to start releasing phones again after 31st Dec 2015. Not saying they will but they could.

Back
Top Bottom