• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CABGE 0536 VPAW

Associate
146 CABGE 0536 VPAW

Hi,

I have the chance to buy one of these for £125. I know these aren't the best overclockers in the world but is it worth the money? I'll be honest that since they've gone up £50 they are now out of my price range anyway so I suppose I'm answering my own question but what do you guys think.

My proposed system is:

AMD Opteron UP 146 San Diego 2.0GHz 1MB Cache (Socket 939)
ASrock 939Dual-SATA2 ULi M1695
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5
Samsung SpinPoint P HD160HJ 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache
NEC ND4551 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
Mitsumi FA 404M 7in1 USB 2.0 Floppy & Media Drive
Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450W Smart Power PSU
OcUK GeForce 6800 GS 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Mark

Ps Sorry, I shouldn't have asked about this as it's not from ocuk (the rest will be though) so I suppose you'd better ignore this. Even better, how do I delete this thread?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, whilst the CABGEs weren't the best clockers, they are still pretty good. Also since it's a 146 you've got the valuable 10x multiplier available.

I think you could expect ~2.7GHz so for the money I'd say it's a reasonable offer (it's cheaper than a 3700+ SD from which you would expect similar speeds), but I don't know what those ASRock boards are like for o/c'ing - DFI may be a better choice.

FYI, there's nothing wrong with mentioning prices of products that you can get, as long as you're not using the forum to point other people at, or link to, OcUK's competitors.

Hav

Soldato
You will be wanting a motherboard that is good for high HTTs of up to 300 to overclock that chip to the max. The asrock may well not manage that. Also, if you don't already own it, I see little point in getting a PCI-Express/AGP board when you've got/are getting a PCI-Express Graphics card. You could even think about getting an SLI motherboard incase you want to put in a second Gfx card at some point in the future.

Associate
OP
Cheers Guys.
I take your point on the mobo / gfx card combo, I'll have to do a little more research as to my choices as I can't afford a DFI mobo at the moment. Any suggestion while I look?

Associate
I am in a similiar situation to you, I am about to buy the following: -

Opty 146 CAB2E 0546FPMW GOT :D <- Didnt cost £125 thou, more like £170
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D <- worth a look as they offer GOOD overclocking potentional and can be modified to do SLI as well.
2Gb G.Skill HZ (PC4000)
Pixelview 7800GT
Enermax Liberty 400w

But the hole in my wallet this is going to leave is gonna be enormous... :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I know where your coming from, mancubas, my budget was nearer £500 but it's getting upto and beyond £600 now. You choose 1 item and someone else suggests something else that's twice as much. I do appreciate the feedback though as I don't want to make an expensive mistake. I really need to set myself a budget and stick to it. That's easier said than done though as I do like my gadgets. Good luck in your build chap, looks good.

Associate
Been putting this off for ages but my old PC is like 12mths old (XPM-2400/1gbGeil/AbitNF-7/6800LE) and it is begining to struggle to run Quake4 and other stuff, I managed to lay my hands on that processor which is suppose to be a good clocker otherwise I would have left it for a bit longer but the new processor has forced my hand and indeed my wallet :D

I already have the HD, case and DVD-Writer so it aint that much but its still not cheap.

Good luck on your upgrade to dude.

ManC

Back
Top Bottom