1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cabling - trying not to kill people here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raumarik, 3 May 2006.

1. Raumarik

Capodecina

Teachers.. always wanting the impossible.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on cabling, we've got some staff that are determinded to have thier PCs on thier desks, problem is that it'd mean trailing cables across floors and I'm not happy about people having to step over them. It screams health and safety to me so I've refused to do it.

I was wondering if there were any products that would let me do this though and still be covered by health and safety. I vaguely remember thick rubber covers that the cables could pass under and people could happily step on without worrying about tripping up.

I know, I'm being vague! sorry but does anyone have the faintest idea what I'm rambling on about :p

2. penski

PermaBanned

Yup - you can get flat rubber covers for cabling...Any office supplies place should do them.

*n

3. Matblack

Capodecina

4. Raumarik

Capodecina

that's the beasties! cheers chaps!

5. Sparky__H

Wise Guy

Carpet installers use this really strong and sticks double sided tape when they can’t use the spray glue or pin beams.

Just so happens its also perfect for sticking down cable guttering :)

6. id10T_error

PermaBanned

[​IMG]

7. Yas786

Caporegime

Worst idea EVER, not only does it make your floor like utter crap but it peels away easily and makes the floor all sticky.

Stick with the rubber cable traps i think they are called or if you can afford, convert all the pcs into wireless ones etc. Its what i did a few months ago in my office....had enough of running cables here and there etc. So i made all my pcs wireless and no longer have unsightly wires trailing across the floor and no accidents either. It may cost a fair bit to upgrade but in the end i think its worth it.

8. Foghorn Leghorn

Wise Guy

9. id10T_error

PermaBanned

Well we use it all the time in the Electronics labs and although it does leave behind a bit of a nasty residue they never come unstuck unless we pull them up! (the cleaners sort the sticky mess! lol)

Cheap and does the job perfect.

No one has ever fallen over our Gaffa-taped down cables where-as in the office many people have either tripped over or pulled equipment crashing too the floor when those plastic things are used!!

Last edited: 3 May 2006
  10. Nismo

Capodecina

Agreed, that stuff on its own can be a death trap :p

11. Andelusion

Capodecina

I can imagine most people in IT land walk around like zombies dragging their feet so the tripping up can be expected really :p

Running it under the carpet is always tidy, just a bugger if you need to get to the wires :s

12. monkeyspank

Soldato

Run them in the ceilings and down poles at the desks.

13. Adam_151

Mobster

14. SourChipmunk

Sgarrista

Put desks/tables back-to-back. Cables go between them = no tripping up.

Well, except for the power-strip cable, of course.

edit: NM. Just re-read OP. Hmm.