Can a bad sound circuit on the mobo cause these crashes?

Associate
I'm running win10 Pro on a recently bought refurbished HP Elitedesk 800 G1, which was designed for win7 but has a new SDD and a 1T HDD, sold by an Amazon refurbisher. It had one scuff and otherwise looks like new, inside and out. It's not overclocked yet.

It runs great compared to what I had, but has crashed about 7 times in 3 months, which the previous computers didn't do, and has damaged some data in the process. I forget how to find the crash data.

Every time it crashes I'm playing webradio, but that might not mean much since I always am. Usually I'm running RadioMaximus, but the last time I was just playing the sound from a webpage using Firefox. Radiomaximus hadn't been started since windows was booted.

However before if fully crashes, it freezes and the sound is either playing a continuous low pitch tone, maybe 100mhz, or it's playing 2 syllables over and over and over, whawhawhawhawha... for up to 15 minutes until I stopped it.

Does this sound problem indicate the computer problem is in the sound circuit, and could be fixed by installing a sound card to use in place of the mobo circuit. I don't assume it's that closely related, but someone told me it was. I thought the problem could still be anywhere.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Soldato
Could be lots of things.
Those PCs aren't made from any high quality level components, but only from good enough to last designed time.
And that small form factor makes cooling harder, which isn't good for endurance.
Anyway sound card problem would be one of the last things to corrupt data.

Associate
OP
Full blue screen of death crash? If so, update the sound drivers.

I did update the drivers a month ago. Only had 6 files listed to begin with. Now has about 55 !

No, it never gives a blue screen. Just freezes and I have to power off to restart.
Also, it runs about 96-98^ F, which doesn't seem hot.

Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom