Can a Thinkpad Yoga S1 connect to a 5120x1440 external monitor?

Associate
Okay, guys, I'm not specifically into gaming, an I'm not an expert in hardware---this is a simple question that I couldn't find an answer to: how do I know if a computer (laptop) is compatible to a given monitor? In other words, if it can actually use the high native resolution of the huge screen I'm about to buy. Is it true that more or less any computer can adapt to any monitor's resolution, more or less?

Details: I'm running Win10, 64bit on my Yoga Thinkpad S1 (Yoga Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20CD - Model 20CD00B1US).

I want to buy a 5120x1440 display (Samsung C49RG90 49-inch Super Ultrawide Curved Gaming Dual WQHD 1440p Monitor).

Would my laptop support the native resolution of this monitor?

(My graphic connection is mini-HDMI.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hello EsaT, and thanks.

That is the precise problem: nobody knows which max resolution can be supported by which computer.
Here, I am now writing this comment using my laptop perfectly connected to a 2560x1080 screen, which
proves that the stated max of 1920x1200 is false.

But thanks for the link, I've learned now which graphic processor I need to investigate.

Any advice here?

Associate
OP
PS. I don't play/game. I need the screen for productivity only.
Based on your comments, I'm starting to believe that it will work!
Because, I understand that there are no rigid upper bounds here.

Soldato
The rigid upper bound is the maximum bandwidth of the HDMI version the device has. The bandwidth required is based on the resolution, the colour depth and the refresh rate.

If the device it HDMI 1.4 it'll support 4K (which is more-or-less what you have) but only at 30Hz. 4K at 60Hz requires HDMI 2.0 or better.

You should be able to connect at a lower resolution. 2560x1440 is an obvious choice. Assuming the monitor supports 1:1 pixel mapping you'd have black bars down both sides with the displayed area looking correct.

Associate
OP
Thanks Bremen! That is helpful.

I do think you are correct and I may be able to connect to the 5120x1440 screen but only at 30Hz.
Do you think there is a problem with that refresh rate (of 30Hz), assuming I don't game; only write/read documents, productivity ?

Associate
Thanks Bremen! That is helpful.

I do think you are correct and I may be able to connect to the 5120x1440 screen but only at 30Hz.
Do you think there is a problem with that refresh rate (of 30Hz), assuming I don't game; only write/read documents, productivity ?

30hz is horrible on desktop, and I'm not a high refresh gamer.
Only used upto 60hz but 30hz is almost unusable on desktop.
Need 60hz for using a mouse.

Associate
OP
Hello Markoboyo, what do you mean "on a desktop"? Why would a desktop/laptop would make any difference here for the viewing quality? I am working with a laptop by the way. Not a desktop, if that makes any difference.

Associate
Hello Markoboyo, what do you mean "on a desktop"? Why would a desktop/laptop would make any difference here for the viewing quality? I am working with a laptop by the way. Not a desktop, if that makes any difference.

I just mean that moving the mouse at 30hz is horrible, and I'm by no means someone that has to have high refresh rates.
I can quite happily play controller games at 30fps if my gpu wont do 60fps.
But 30hz using the mouse is not a nice experience.

Associate
OP
Okay, thank. I have now downgraded my Hz from 60hz to 30hz (using Intel HD Graphics Control Panel), and honestly I don't see the difference...I hope I indeed use now 30hz, but my screen itself notified me that I use now 30hz, and again, I don't see the problem.

Associate
Okay, thank. I have now downgraded my Hz from 60hz to 30hz (using Intel HD Graphics Control Panel), and honestly I don't see the difference...I hope I indeed use now 30hz, but my screen itself notified me that I use now 30hz, and again, I don't see the problem.

Thats good if you are happy with it, the screen will be fine for you then. I couldn't use 30hz myself but if you dont mind then that's great.
Was just throwing in my 2cents, good luck.

Associate
OP
Actually, to be honest: I do see some difference with the mouse movement etc. But I think I can live with it, because the curved screen is astonishing, and would be great for productivity. Also, hopefully soon enough I will buy a newer laptop.
Thanks!

Associate
OP
I have found out now that my Intel® Core™ i7-4600U Processor ---> Processor Graphics
supports
HDMI 1.4: 3200x2000@60Hz
DP: 3200x2000@60Hz
In this case would it be possible that I can see the picture on the 5120x1440 screen with *52Hz* ?

Because 52Hz is what we get when dividing 3200x2000x60 by 5120x1440.

Associate
OP
Guys, just got my new 5120x1440 screen and it's working fabulously on my oldish laptop with HDMI 1.4 and Intel graphic processor HD 4400.

Haha, and Lenovo says the max external resolution is 1920x1200 ... funny!

On the other hand I do think I'm working with 30Hz; but I don't mind for this.

Thanks for you help! You helped me to get this right!

Back
Top Bottom