Can anyone please help me make my own desktop.

Soldato
However we seem to be talking to ourselves now, lol. Think OP may have gone and bought the AMD rig :)
Well, at least we are having some meaningful talks here. It's a good break away from the trolls over at the graphic card forum lol

I think nothing will beat the AMD build, everything in it is solid, dont have to use a cheaper cooler, case and PSU. And there wont be any really gain in games from using i7.
Well, more 'solid' i7 920 build would be the one at #76 post, with pre-overclocked to 4.0GHz. Although it cost £91 more, it's miles ahead of PII X4 955 at stock speed 3.20GHz (assuming if lunatic don't overclock) and with more speed headroom for Crossfire or 3-way Crossfire.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Now i was set on ordering the AMD build now i am more confused about the i7 build.

If i save up more money and try stretch my budget to £900 i think i can have a good gaming machine.

Thanks everyone for the time you spent trying to help me.

Soldato
Unfortunately that overclocked 4.0GHz i7 920 bundle's special discount offer is only till the 28th April, so after that date it will rise from current £506 back to its original price of £550.

You better make up you mind soon if you are interested in the i7 920 build at post #76.

Soldato
92432198.jpg

I think this is 8x8x Crossfire capable.

I am about to order it anything i need to change before i do so?

Was bored, so I thought I'd have a go at trying i7 920 build:

The i7 920 4.0GHz overclocked bundle is on offer. With £45 off and price now at £506, it is cheaper than buying the parts separately and the 4.0GHz pre-overclock comes free! (i7 920 £180+Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R £156+Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel £140+Titan Cooler £30+Arctic Silver 5 or MX-3 thermal compound £7=total £514!)
i7920.jpg

This will cost will be just under £900, but it would be better than the Phenom II X4 build. Also the pre-overclock is very good, especially if you are not familiar/comfortable with overclocking and planning on just using the Phenom II X4 CPU at stock speed (I remember when few years ago when I first try overclocking the my PC wouldn't boot, it scared the hell outta me lol. Well, clear the CMOS sorted that out).

The Intel build has a poorer PSU for one thing and if you add the far better Antec PSU you are looking at around £110 more for the Intel build. If you add the far better case the AMD build has the difference is even more. To put this in context if the AMD build has the OCZ PSU and Akasa case the Intel one has it would be around £720!

On top of this the six core Phenom II processors are being released next week. At this rate you will be spending nearly £1000 on your computer.

The fact is that the AMD build is within budget.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Intel build has a poorer PSU for one thing and if you add the far better Antec PSU you are looking at around £110 more for the Intel build.
Ah you are right about the PSU...didn't notice it only got 1xPCI-E 6 pin and 1xPCI-E 8 pin...got misled by the SLI thing. Need to swap the PSU for the Antec TruePower New Modular 650W I agree.

Also, I don't really see the 6 cores AMD CPU that are coming will really have THAT MUCH impact as you said many times before on the pricing of the CPUs. i7 920 has already dropped from around £220 down to £180, and the AMD PII X4 are already reasonably priced...so I don't think it will drop too much more in terms of price. As for 6 cores AMD CPU, 5th and 6th core ain't gonna benefit gaming much anyway since games won't be using them; unless the new 6 cores architecture is fairly faster than the current PII X4 range as well as the i7 920 (with initial preview doesn't seem to be the case), I don't see much point going for them.

No offense but CAT you have always been bias toward AMD, but I do agree with you that AMD build is great for that price (I was in fact the first person to suggest consider AMD build in this thread). Just need to add a MX-3 Thermal Compound to that AMD build and it would be good to go. I guess it will have to lunatic to decide on paying more for the i7 920 that's already overclocked to 4.0GHz for him, or to go AMD for a lesser and learn about overclocking it on a later date.

Last edited:
Soldato
for my budget the AMD build is the best you'd say?

Only you can decide, dude :)

£800 is a healthy budget for sure, but it is still constrained. If it were me I'd be going for max perfomance possible within the budget and not want to suck any of it up with an expensive case/PSU etc. I would think about upgrading the case later. Having said that, the case is a box at the end of the day and that Xigmatek I have does everything the box needs to do and looks fine as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing wrong with that OCZ PSU either, CAT. It's not cheap chinese tat - OCUK dont sell crap. Will the antec get you better FPS in games? Will the OCZ blow up and burn your house down? No, and no. But spend £20 more at the cost of performance if you like.

As I said, that's just what I'd do. You might want a build with the balance shifted slightly from all out performance towards including a bit more case bling and a rolls royce PSU. If that's the case the AMD spec is ideal - you certainly wont be dissapointed with any build put together by the folks on here to be honest.

Up to you :)

Associate
builda.jpg

The mobo is abit OTT though, not sure what there is AMD wise.
But supports full crossfire (2 x PCI-E x16)

Cheap CPU which can be upgraded to the 6 core jobbies when they are released and cheap.

Got 1TB for good measure.

But looking through the i7 920 above is nice.

Also shop around these can be found cheaper elsewhere.

Soldato
Ah you are right about the PSU...didn't notice it only got 1xPCI-E 6 pin and 1xPCI-E 8 pin...got misled by the SLI thing. Need to swap the PSU for the Antec TruePower New Modular 650W I agree.

If Lunatic ever actually crossfires, he could upgrade the PSU then, or simply get some molex-to-6pin adaptors. Everyone says they want to allow for crossfire/sli later, but I wonder how many actually get round to it rather than just selling the old and buying a new single. I dare say most crossfire/sli rigs were specced and built that way from the start by serious power users.

Soldato
builda.jpg

The mobo is abit OTT though, not sure what there is AMD wise.
But supports full crossfire (2 x PCI-E x16)
There's no suffer in performance drop for x8 on PCI-E 2.0. Also the 550 is just a dual-core that's only around Core2Duo E7400's performance level.
Also, CAT was right about the OCZ PSU...it only got 1 PCI-E 6 pin and 1 PCI-E 8 pin connector, not 2 of each like the Antec 650W PSU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Buying an overclocked bundle you wouldn't need to overclock it. Same goes with buying the 5850 or the 5870 there's no need to oc the graphics card. Those two will run any game perfectly fine. You would only need a minimum of 600w PSU as well.

Soldato
Updated the i7 920 build, changed to Antec 650W for the sake of Crossfire (2x PCI-E 6pin, 2x PCI-E 8pin), changed case to Antec 300 and getting 2 extra 120mm fan for front.
i79202.jpg

Now this is ready for adding another 5850 to Crossfire in the future with no CPU bottlenecking (hopefully) in the future. It was a mistake to go the OCZ PSU because they only have 2 x PCI-E (1 6-pin & 1 8-pin). I'm well awared that it is well over the budget, but just food for thought :p

I think even if a Phenom II 955 overclocked to 3.8GHz 'might' bottleneck CF5850 in some CPU intensive games...what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is overclocking difficult?
It's not difficult once you get the hang of it and have the right components combination...and especially if people can give you the figures/numbers to use in the bios.
PC not posting every now and then when attemp overclocking might give some scares for beginner though.

It would be useful to check out the guides at the top of the following page:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom