Can anyone please help me make my own desktop.

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
Unless you do heavily cpu intensive tasks like audio / encoding I cannot see the point in a six core cpu when games only use two to four. Each to their own though.

Associate
OP
arc@css i never knew that.

So if you were me.

Would you go for this?

i72e.jpg

Or £100 more for 5870?

24417762.jpg

If you were me would you hold on to the money for now or make this system?

Soldato
Don't get the 5870. 15-25% faster hardly worth extra £100. You'd be much better off saving it toward getting an extra 5850 to crossfire.

And get some Arctic Cooling MX-3 Thermal Compound to use with the Titan CPU cooler. Think I said it a few times already.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-002-AR

i7 920 build didn't need to get it because the bundle has a AS5 Thermal Compound included.

Last edited:
Caporegime
' If ' this was myself then I would put the emphasis more mobo / psu / cpu then graphics. Once you have selected a cpu and motherboard you are then tied to that socket on the motherboard which dictates what cpu can go in / upgradability etc.
As the months go by you can then buy a better graphics card or whatever. I expect the mobo has its own sound processor so you wouldn't need a sound card either which is good.

I think going for a bundle is a good idea seriously worth considering, the advice that the guys have given is good and you'd do well to take note of it. :)

Soldato
Yes, the 5850 can overclock to 5870 speeds. But then if you say this, you can overclock the 5870 to even crazier speeds - so its not exactly £90 wasted. I'm not saying "go buy a 5870" (I don't think you budget can justify this and keeep the rest of the system balanced) but the card is a good bit of kit and its price makes sense TBH.

@ Lunatic - If you want to stick to your budget (£800 max) then there isn't any thing that could the beat the X4 955/5850 spec for gaming. If the budget is more flexible then an i7 920 spec would be nice as it is more powerful for CPU-bound tasks and supports x16x16 crossfire for future graphics upgrades. However, please don't comprimise on RAM, PSU or graphics card to afford an i7.

Also please bear in mind that the extra CPU power does not aid in modern games. Have a look at this article showing the performance benefit of underclocking/overclocking an i7 and an Phenom II X4 when running a 5970 GPU (similar power to 5850CF). As you can see, even with this graphics power of a 5970 - games are still limited by the GPU, not the CPU.

Soldato
The 5850 build looks really good man, just keep the extra £100 and look around the forums on how to overclock your 5850. If you can get it to the same speed as 5870 then theres only a 5% gap in preformace and a huge saving. Good luck man :D.

Caporegime
stulid can you direct me to the results please?

I can't post links due to competitor rules.

there are early user reviews at xtremesystems, but they are heavily overclocked results compared to overclocked intel comparisons.

you already said you were new to this overclocking game, so a pre-done bundle is best for you.

if you got that amd build above, the unlocked multiplier means getting higher speeds is easy.

Associate
OP
I might just get this for now and save money for the 5850?

38897953.jpg

The reason is the i7 bundle is this week only.

Also would that PCU handle everything? Plus in the future i might get crossfire 5850. So i wouldn't need to change the PSU or might sell off the 5850 and buy 5970 somewhere around 1-2 years.

Also i might take two weeks to save money for 5850.

Make sense? Sorry english isn't my first language.

Last edited:
Soldato
I might just get this for now and save money for the 5850?

38897953.jpg

The reason is the bundle is this week only offer.

Also would that PCU handle everything? Plus in the future i might get crossfire 5850. So i wouldn't need to change the PSU or might sell off the 5850 and buy 5970 somewhere around 1-2 years.

Also i might take two weeks to save money for 5850.

Make sense? Sorry english isn't my first language.
The Antec 650W would already be enough for Crossfiring two 5850. And also 5970 is just a graphic card with two 5870 GPUs down-clocked to 5850 speed on internal crossfire. A pair of 5850 in crossfire is pretty much as fast as a 5970...and cheaper. And if you are going for the bundle, you don't need to get the MX-3, as the bundle already included the Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound. The Titan CPU cooler is already in the bundle too as well.

Corrected the list for you:
i79203.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
You won't need the second Titan (one is included in the bundle), but everything else looks good.

Do you have a spare PCI-e graphics card you could install in the mean time? As the X58 doesn't have any integrated graphics.

The PSU should be able to handle 5850CF or 5970 fine. However, in 2 years time I wouldn't buy a 5970 to replace the 5850 = either add a second 5850 bought cheap or replace the 5850 with a new card (ATI Radeon HD 7850 or Nvida GTX660 perhaps :)).

Associate
OP
WOW i did not notice that.

Nice i7 Bundle.

31559356.jpg

Any change i need? Case okay? HDD?

Sadly i don't have any spare GPU to test on that because this is my first time assembling a system.

Soldato
WOW i did not notice that.

Nice i7 Bundle.

31559356.jpg

Any change i need? Case okay? HDD?

Sadly i don't have any spare GPU to test on that because this is my first time assembling a system.
All seem fine for now...except with the graphic card missing. You wouldn't happen to have a friend that got a spare PCI-E 16x graphic card sitting around collecting dust that you can borrow to use for now do you?

It slipped my mind and forgot to ask, what is the resolution of your monitor?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Would it be worth him just buying a cheap gpu just to tide him over for a couple of months? That way he'll also have a back up gpu for the future for testing etc.

Associate
OP
No i am the first to try building my own system.
But i may be able to ask one of my friend to try out he's 9800 on this and at least install Win 7.

If i ever buy my 5850 which would you recommend? i am thinking this one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-138-PC&tool=3

@cmnd yes i am aware of that. But i'd be able to smell it at the very least.

@Arc i was thinking of that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom