Can anyone recommend a 3/4/5TB Internal 2.5" Hard drive

Associate
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a 3/4/5TB Internal 2.5" Hard drive.

All i can seem to find is the seagate barracuda and its around £150 which i think is pretty steep compared to external drives.

Associate
Internal for a desktop?
Because those Barracuda's are 15mm. SMR too.
Despite the impressive density, these will be multi-platter drives hence the 15mm.

Associate
OP
Internal for a desktop?
Because those Barracuda's are 15mm. SMR too.
Despite the impressive density, these will be multi-platter drives hence the 15mm.

Yes im after a internal for storage, i have 1 2.5 slot free in my pc to pop one in. Yea they seem to be abit fatter for a better word.

Whats SMR ?

Edit: ive just googled SMR still not 100% sure what it is i guess its away of reaching higher capacity, is it good or bad for a HD ?

Last edited:
Associate
Don’t seagate drives have a high failure rate though? I remember seeing a few years ago a lot of people having issues with seagate drives failing, which is why I’ve never got one.

And i am in a similar situation to the OP, need a second internal drive to supplement my main boot drive in case it’s replacement fails. Had some drastic hardware failure issues last week, and i think we’ve narrowed it down to the SSD boot drive (POST state LEDs seem to indicate it’s the boot device, so looks like the drive is borked).

Unfortunately i don’t have any secondary internal drives i can test, apart from an external 3.5 inch drive that’s in a sealed enclosure, and i can’t open that without damaging the drive, i think. Plus we had to remove the single drive cage from the bottom of my case to make way for power cables.

So I’m either stuck with buying a second ssd along with the replacement for the boot device, or trying to find something i can use to support a 3.5 drive in a spot where it’s not technically supported.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom