Can anyone recommend me an entry level HOTAS?

Associate
Now then, I'm looking to get hold of a HOTAS set up ahead of the new star wars game coming out and there's absolutely loads out there when I start looking...Can anyone point me in the right direction? Ideally I want to be spending around £50-70 but could be persuading to dig a little deeper.

Man of Honour
I have the thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick

Seems pretty good to me.

Can confirm this was great when I played Elite, I couldn't find any real reason to spend more. The only thing that would possibly sway me today is thay the sensors aren't quite as accurate as hall sensors you'll find in more expensive peripherals - the cheapest I know of being the Thrustmaster T-16000 - however we're talking double the price for the stick and throttle, and the throttle is a bit different and without a middle "notch" which might be handy for Squadrons if there's a "sweet spot" for quick turns.

I'm in the same boat with squadrons, I sold my thrustmaster years ago but I wish I didn't now as their price has increased! I think you'll be pleased with a T-Flight, and if you do decided to move up you'll be able to sell it at little loss.

Man of Honour
Only problem with the hotas x was the lack of buttons when I was using it in Vr. Swapped it for the t1600 + throttle which has tons of hats and buttons.

Ah that's interesting, what games did you find you needed more buttons for? For elite I used shift buttons to almost triple the amount of functions available.

Soldato
Ah that's interesting, what games did you find you needed more buttons for? For elite I used shift buttons to almost triple the amount of functions available.
Elite has a LOT of functions.
I use a CH HOTAS, but still map the three throttle buttons to modifier keys, and still don't use all the game functions available.

Associate
Tflight X Hotas was my first setup - good stick but quickly started running out of buttons for flight simming. Okay for WW2 stuff but anything more I think you will wish you went with a few more buttons

After that went x52 then warthog

Soldato
Why is it saying 'this item has not yet been released - pre order now'?
Logitech took them over, so possibly waiting for stock update with new SKU number, or something.

X52 is on currently sale for less than £100 at a famous online retailer. Bit more expensive than a T-Flight, but much more capable.
Any news on whether the Logitech versions have improved the build quality after MadCatz nerfed it?

Soldato
Why is it saying 'this item has not yet been released - pre order now'?

I Ordered this exact product a couple of weeks back and it had the same message, I've just had dispatch confirmation for the end of August, I think it's just a way of still selling out of stock items. Also have a look as certain sellers will automatically drop the price if their price lowers at any point before they dispatch.

Associate
^ this. You could even use voice attack if you need more buttons.
+this

I've got the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X (who thinks of these names!) and it's excellent when combined with VoiceAttack. VoiceAttack with a decent pair of gaming headphones really adds to the immersion.

Soldato
tflight hotas X is ok for single player but anything multiplayer you will get destroyed, its really innacurate, T16000m is much much better as a joystick and I'd easily forgo throttle for a better joystick if it comes to that choice

Associate
I would recommend going for the Thrustmaster T.16000m, for £130 or there abouts, has a stick and throttle. Because of your budget constraints.. I would go for the logitech 3D pro, only downside is the tiny barrel flap throttle... very flimsy.

Back
Top Bottom