Poll: Can girls and guys be 'just good' friends?

Which one are you?

• I can have a strictly platonic relationship with a woman.

Votes: 332 64.6%
  • I'm the type of guy who just can't keep it in his pants however hard I try.

Votes: 182 35.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
my best mate is female, we have a laugh, and 'mate dates' where we watch films etc.

Nothing in it, we are both married and she knew my wife before I knew her and I know her fella. We just kind of clicked and get on like a house on fire.

Man of Honour
Quite easily. I have several female friends who, despite being reasonably attractive, I have no physical attraction to whatsoever and therefore just a good friendship. Don't see the problem?

Caporegime
my best mate is female, we have a laugh, and 'mate dates' where we watch films etc.

Nothing in it, we are both married and she knew my wife before I knew her and I know her fella. We just kind of clicked and get on like a house on fire.

I think that is partly the key as to why my GF has no issues with one of my friends (who is my ex), she new her before me, and they are close friends as well.

Soldato
Nope I'm too much of a perv. Generally try to get the balance right but it enver works out.

I generally see it as a challenge and that is why I'm now out of a relationship I couldn't stay faithful in after two years. Maybe I need some mental help or just get a grip.

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends on the physique of the girl, if she's hot, I'm an idiot, my brain is constantly thinking how to impress or at least behave normally to her and my intelligence drops a lot. No idea what to say to her, do stupid things, distracted, even looking in the eyes when she's talking to me is hard, etc...

If it's a girl that I'm not attracted to, then it's fine and I can behave as I do to my male friends ( well ok, not like that , but I can behave normally :p)...

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends on the physique of the girl, if she's hot, I'm an idiot, my brain is constantly thinking how to impress or at least behave normally to her and my intelligence drops a lot. No idea what to say to her, do stupid things, distracted, etc...

If it's a girl that I'm not attracted to, then it's fine and I can behave as I do to my male friends ( well ok, not like that , but I can behave normally :p)...
:)

Soldato
I can and do.

However I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind with most of them. Things usually end up going sour when you progress on the friend front and I value them too much as friends.

Caporegime
I have a best friend of 11 years. We see eachother more as brother and sister than anything else, 100% platonic.

Also, when it comes to my close circle of friends, I only have 2 close male friends, versus 6 close female ones. This is mainly down to me not being interested in the usual guy things (sports and cars). If I wasn't into computers, I think my dad would disown me :p

Soldato
It depends on the physique of the girl, if she's hot, I'm an idiot, my brain is constantly thinking how to impress or at least behave normally to her and my intelligence drops a lot. No idea what to say to her, do stupid things, distracted, even looking in the eyes when she's talking to me is hard, etc...

Quoted for truth.

Being close friends with several girls I usually get the gossip on who thinks what/has said X about me. If I know they fancy me and I don't fancy them I could hold a conversation for hours as I'm not interested and have nothing to loose.

If I remotley fancy her back then all communication skills cease to exist and I tend to sit back and let somebody else talk. Trying not to make a fool of myself by falling up stairs or knocking over a drink.:p

Soldato
I used to think this was possible and had a very close female friend for around 10 years.

We now live together and are engaged. :)

Soldato
The trick is to have ugly female friends :D
This, or to put it less harshly girls who you aren't attracted to, I find if you get to know a girl well enough it will usually give you an insight into what they'd be like as a gf, which can either further cement the platonic nature of your friendship or make you wish for more. I have several friends who even though I don't find them particularly unattractive I'd never want to do anything with because I know too much about them

Man of Honour
I'm just a perv and one track minded. I'm happy to admit that - it kinda sucks as a lot of my female friends are hawt. Obviously I'm a good boy and wouldn't cheat on my other half, but nonetheless I still catch a glance or two ;) Fortunately she doesn't mind as ultimately we're together and I have no issues with her discussing some guy's butt with her friends.

I think it's an animal predatory/alpha male instinct to prey/hunt/mate with the opposite sex.

However, it is down to the chemical reaction in your brain, you may well not find them attractive - however they may find you attractive, it's never bilaterally platonic (at least initially - things CAN end up 100% platonic, but they seldom start that way).

Caporegime
The trick is to have ugly female friends :D

^^^

this

I used to think differently - when at school I had a close mixed group of mates and we've all stayed in touch over the years, needless to say stuff happened along the way between various male/female members of the group despite being 'friends' - fact is the girls were attractive....

Female friends who I wouldn't tend to be more like girls who like drinking acting more bloke-ish i.e. a female friend who played rugby at uni and a work colleague who always joins the guys in the pub on a friday night - both are great fun but I wouldn't.... thing is I know at least one of them 'would' if given a chance...

I currently share a flat with a couple of very attractive girls - they're good friends and I'm not going to try it on with them but I'm not going to lie and say I don't find them very attractive or if I didn't know them and met randomly in a club that I wouldn't.....

Back
Top Bottom