Poll: Can girls and guys be 'just good' friends?

Which one are you?

• I can have a strictly platonic relationship with a woman.

Votes: 332 64.6%
  • I'm the type of guy who just can't keep it in his pants however hard I try.

Votes: 182 35.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
Exactly the same sort of situation happened with me, i realised going to 'just friends' wouldn't be possible so just dropped her completely. Not sure if it was the best of decisions but i'm sticking to it.

Hope it all goes well for you pal.

How long has it been since you split? Thing is we are part of the same circle of friends, one big group of us and we were the only 2 'a couple' in it, so i'm going to see her when we go out to WHP and Sankeys etc, we both bought a load of tickets together lol!

On the plus side, long distance (for some at least) is utterly rubbish and it may have been sensible for her to have nipped things in the bud by ending sooner rather than after a long decline. I recently broke up with my girlfriend because I just couldn't handle the distance - a great shame but it was a decision made to minimise hurt for both sides.

It's not long distance when she was at Uni, only a 20 min car drive so wasn't a problem, and she comes home every weekend to work. So that wouldnt have mattered.
I'm being civil with her now, like when we first split we had a couple of big arguements but the best thing ive realised is to just be normal with her if i'm around her and see what happens.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that dude, but I'm afraid I've never, ever heard of the above happening. Best to just move on as soon as possible, time is the best healer.

I know mate, i'm not being optimistic and think it was kinda silly for her to say it if she didnt possibly think it.

But obviously there is a lot more to it than i've let on in here from both sides which means I don't think i'll ever be out of her life, maybe I won't get with her now, but we might in the future.

I am just going to try and get on with my life anyway, i've been hanging around with my other friends at home more now that the majority have gone to Uni.

But i'm making some more lifestyle changes, going to start cycling around places now to take my mind off things, going to night school for some teaching courses as i'm going to apply for a PGCE course. Just need to get out and meet new people (mainly women haha) get some more friends as sad as it sounds LOL!

How long has it been since you split? Thing is we are part of the same circle of friends, one big group of us and we were the only 2 'a couple' in it, so i'm going to see her when we go out to WHP and Sankeys etc, we both bought a load of tickets together lol!

About 3 weeks / a month i'd guess. Yeah me and her are in the same big circle of friends aswell which makes it quite awkward, but she hasn't come out clubbing with the group since me and her stopped talking so i haven't had to really deal with the awkwardness as such yet.

Soldato
About 3 weeks / a month i'd guess. Yeah me and her are in the same big circle of friends aswell which makes it quite awkward, but she hasn't come out clubbing with the group since me and her stopped talking so i haven't had to really deal with the awkwardness as such yet.

I don't think there will be any awkwardness, just not easy to blot someone out completely when i'm going to be going out with them on nights out every week or so!

Permabanned
OP
Me and my mate were having a discussion the other night about texting..

We've got this other mate who is always texting this girl, like atleast 2-3 times everyday usually. He says he has no interest in her whatsoever (although he used to, nothing happened, and now he says they are just friends) but we don't believe him.

Initially the guy I was discussing this with disagreed. Was quite funny actually..

Him: 'Nah, it's possible.. I used to text 'girl A' all the time..'
Me: 'Erm yeah.. but weren't you trying to get in to her pants?'
Him: '........ yeah. But what about 'girl B'?'
Me: 'Mate, you're trying to get in to her pants too!!!'

I certainly don't text girls that often unless I am interested in them, and my mate agreed. We couldn't think of a single person either of us know that texts a girl everyday just out of pure friendliness.

Permabanned
I know mate, i'm not being optimistic and think it was kinda silly for her to say it if she didnt possibly think it.

But obviously there is a lot more to it than i've let on in here from both sides which means I don't think i'll ever be out of her life, maybe I won't get with her now, but we might in the future.

I am just going to try and get on with my life anyway, i've been hanging around with my other friends at home more now that the majority have gone to Uni.

But i'm making some more lifestyle changes, going to start cycling around places now to take my mind off things, going to night school for some teaching courses as i'm going to apply for a PGCE course. Just need to get out and meet new people (mainly women haha) get some more friends as sad as it sounds LOL!

Mate, I've just been through something that seems amazingly similar to what you are describing. She was even in my circle of friends too like you, which makes it even more difficult.

Best advice I can give you is play it cool. When you speak don't mention anything about you two as a couple or anything related to that, act as if you are getting on with life and enjoying it. I'm not saying that will bring her back to you, but it will give you the best chance.

Unfortunately when I was dumped I flipped out and acted in the worse way possible. Could I have gotten her back if I'd acted the way I've described to you? I really think so, which is painful for me to say and think about. :( Lost someone I loved and cared about more than anything in the world. :( Miss her every single day.

Soldato
I know (well I think she does) still care about me loads and she even said another night when we were at a friends that we might end up back together in a couple months. Just think we both need some space and time apart.

I had something similar to this recently. A girl I had been reasonably good friends with. We both found eachother super haaaawt and she ended up cheating on her boyfriend with me. At first it'd be a pull in the club, then it'd happen again a few months later.

I told her how I felt and that I wanted to be with her. I only did this because it was how I felt, but I had also been told she wasn't happy with her boyfriend but didn't want to be single which was probaly why she stayed with him.

Long storey short, we did the dirty. a lot. For three weeks. I was convinced she was/had left her boyfriend. Turns out she still 'loved' him and thought that was a good enough reason to stay with somebody.

The killer line was 'we are meant to be together, it's just not our time. If and when I'm ready and I'm single I'll let you know. But if you're not single and happy I won't act on it'.

Basically 'If i royally **** up with my boyfriend I'll come back'. At the time I was like 'seems fair'. But realised that's just stringing somebody along with potentially false hope, for something that may or may not happen. I'm not going to be her backup/contingency plan. She was a tool and has now lost all her friends and I've not spoken to her in months.

What I'm trying to say is that it might happen, but it might not.

Prepare for the worst, assume the worst, it's over. So as difficult as it is move on with your life, try to and find somebody else. You can't move on if you've still got that little peice of you that want's them back in my opinion.

I'm sorry for your situation but am just telling it how it is.

Chin up :)

Caporegime
option c

i imagine all females in the doggie position :D

if your friends look like pamela anderson or other hot biatchs then your gunna have the thoughts . whether you react and do them then thats another thing altogether.

Soldato
Just broke up with my girl, she just says she wants to be friends, but she knows how badly I still love her and want to get back with her.

I'd ideally like to get back with her lol, but she doesnt really seem to be budging. I personally think its because she's moving back to Uni this week and wants some freedom etc to do what/who she wants!

Just have to see what happens, I'm hoping she'll get bored at Uni after the initial buzz of freshers etc and want me back. But its damn hard being 'just friends' when she knows how much I love her.

She's gone. Blates wants to go to uni and have a laugh with out having to worry about hurting you etc. On the plus side if it doesn't work she'll come running back for sex and stuff but only for that until she does find some one

Soldato
Yes it's possible to be just friends. Obviously there can be friends you might want more with but equally there are friends that you don't think of in that way at all. It's all about individuals. I've usually had more male friends than female friends over the years, but rarely have I ever found male friends sexually attractive, even though they have been attractive guys.

Maybe women are more difficult to please ;)

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I certainly don't text girls that often unless I am interested in them, and my mate agreed. We couldn't think of a single person either of us know that texts a girl everyday just out of pure friendliness.

I text a girl at least every other day, normally more, she's a friend and that's all. Was at her house for the first time a while ago and her younger brother said "Is this your new boyfriend?" (him being about 8) and my instant reaction was "god no", and hers was similer. She's not at all ugly or anything, very pretty girl, just couldn't ever picture us being "together". Would be odd.

Back
Top Bottom