1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i do anything? work overtime question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by welshboy, 8 Oct 2009.

1. welshboy

Wise Guy

I recently got promoted in work and thus they put my wage up by £1200.
    This puts me £250 over my works overtime threshold so i cant recieve overtime however I was earning 3-4k a yr in overtime so im actually losing money. Now i havent signed anything for this promotion and I have a letter saying "congrats, the only changes are your job title and salary..original contract still applies" now my original contract sais im entitled to overtime.

usually when work increase peoples wages they put them at the limit of the o/t threshold so they can still earn overtime. Now i work in IT as systems analyst and i often work unusual hours because my work requires it e.g. turning networks off during the day cant be done. I think our new finance director doesnt like me though so has done this for a reason just to tick me off.

at the minute im a bit depressed because im still expected to do the work yet for free.

any advice would be great.thx

2. D18241

Wise Guy

ask for a new job desc + contract to read before agree then sit down with HR and question about bits like this

3. welshboy

Wise Guy

thats the thing they havent given me a new job description, just changes to my statement of terms of employment. ive had nothing to sign.

4. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Speak to your boss.

5. welshboy

Wise Guy

he has no say. our work arangement is wierd. everything is controlled via finance bosses.

6. EVH

Don

Request a meeting with someone that can help.

Explain the situation and potential loss of earnings, and it'll get sorted :confused:

7. welshboy

Wise Guy

Ill have to do this on my next wage slip me thinks. At the moment ive been getting overtime for the past two months because I brought it up as an issue but the finance director has told my boss definetly not this month.

8. Tripnologist

Mobster

I'd just explain to them that if they're not going to pay you for overtime now, you simply won't work it.

9. Jeff Lynne

Banned

"If you don't like your job, then leave" seems to be the order of the day!

10. VeNT

Capodecina

no it's not jeff.
    if you're not being paid. don't work it.
    simple as.

11. zooankski

Hitman

got to agree here, you cannot be forced to work it either.

12. scorza

Caporegime

It's quite common for employees reaching a certain salary level to be not paid overtime anymore. Usually this happens when people reach management grades, where the salary received is for successful delivery regardless of hours worked.

I would say an employee would be within his rights to reject a pay rise but I'm not a lawyer so don't really know - I guess they could withdraw the offer of promotion too though so /shrug. Be a true manager - say you'll work unpaid overtime if you get put on a bonus scheme for successful delivery.

13. Showboat

Wise Guy

If you get a meeting i'd say this can be ironed out, probably been overlooked, they will obviously want you to keep working the unsocial hours, as that's when companies want IT stuff done, and they can't expect it for free. Good luck

14. Guest2

Capodecina

So your contract is the same and you should still be entitled to overtime. Except you are on increased salary.

Have a word with your boss, or say the promotion isnt working out for you as you are coming out with less than before each month (and you need the money for your high morgage or some rubbish)

15. Skully

Sgarrista

Strike.

16. SHEDDER1uk

Wise Guy

We have a few guys who earn more than the managers at my place with overtime. Managers are salaried and don't get o/t.

17. ntg

Mobster

Could you please elaborate a bit. So, with the new salary you are getting 1200 pounds a month extra, but previously with overtime you could get up to 1450 extra. Therefore there is the loss of 250 per month? Right?

I don't think you are "losing" money since you are getting paid a higher salary for the same contractual hours. The overtime is a choice (in a rough sense), it's not a given.

As for being expected to do the work for free, that is a bit general. You have been promoted and like most manager level employees you are expected to go the extra mile for no additional compensation. You could -probably- ask for days in lieu due to overtime or discuss the possibility of a bonus. If if none of these options are available being promoted still has the added benefit that you have further options of going higher (thus on an even higher salary that you could ever earn with overtime at your previous position).

18. Gaz1988

Wise Guy

request a 250 reduction in salary! :D

19. Sone

Sgarrista

In a manufacturing environment that is very common; especially in piece work.

20. Guest2

Capodecina

I'm sure he meant £1200 extra a year, not month. If not then i want your job as my take after deductions is £1110 a month