Can i expect any discount on a Chanel J12 watch?

Maz

Maz

Soldato
Gilly said:
Can't say I have actually. When talking about the quality I meant the movement. And that'll be generic movement as Chanel (as far as I know) don't make their own movements. I'm wondering what kind of markup they have.

AFAIK Theres not much difference in Generic movements and ones supplied in the likes of Omegas Tag etc.

They take the standard movement and slightly modify it.

The casing + strap on this particular Chanel is also Ceramic, so I'd imagine its scratchproof and also very light.

Don
Gilly said:
Can't say I have actually. When talking about the quality I meant the movement. And that'll be generic movement as Chanel (as far as I know) don't make their own movements. I'm wondering what kind of markup they have.
Sorry dude :( Just the way I'm feeling...

I doubt Chanel even make their own watches it will all be either licensed or subcontracted

Tag don't even manufacture watches , they just design , market and distribute

Don
noob said:
Rotty what sort of discount can you expect on an Omega and where is the best place to buy them? :)

20% minimum on popular models ( TBH 20% is also often the maximum too ), try and high street independent dealer ( not ernest jones / goldsmiths etc ) and most will do you 20% off

Associate
OP
Rotty said:
20% minimum on popular models ( TBH 20% is also often the maximum too ), try and high street independent dealer ( not ernest jones / goldsmiths etc ) and most will do you 20% off

What could i expect on the Chanel? - and how do you go abouit asking for discounts in these sorts of places? :confused:

Don
Maz said:
AFAIK Theres not much difference in Generic movements and ones supplied in the likes of Omegas Tag etc.

They take the standard movement and slightly modify it.

The casing + strap on this particular Chanel is also Ceramic, so I'd imagine its scratchproof and also very light.

Tag hardly modify movements at all , Omega / Panerai / Breitling modify a lot

the modifications can be quite extensive , an ETA movemnet on a Panerai will bear little resemblance to one in a TAG

most of the use ETA movements ( Part of the same company that own Omega )

Very few totally make their own movements ( Rolex , JLC , Patek , AP etc ) , I suppose technically Omega also make their own movements

Permabanned
disfunktion said:
What could i expect on the Chanel? - and how do you go abouit asking for discounts in these sorts of places? :confused:

You're buying from a High Street chain aren't you so I wouldn't expect any discount.

Don
disfunktion said:
What could i expect on the Chanel? - and how do you go about asking for discounts in these sorts of places? :confused:

I honestly don't know as it is not something I would ever consider but the dealer markup is probably in excess of 100%

A little research suggest that discounts are only in the 15% region which I think is poor

Just go in and haggle like you would with anything else , avoid the big chains and find an independent dealer

have you actually seen one in real life ? they are very small by current trends

no point trying to talk you out of it if that's what you want but I certainly do not recommend it as a purchase or any sort of investment but that's up to you

Associate
OP
Rotty said:
I honestly don't know as it is not something I would ever consider but the dealer markup is probably in excess of 100%

A little research suggest that discounts are only in the 15% region which I think is poor

Just go in and haggle like you would with anything else , avoid the big chains and find an independent dealer

have you actually seen one in real life ? they are very small by current trends

no point trying to talk you out of it if that's what you want but I certainly do not recommend it as a purchase or any sort of investment but that's up to you

hmm - i'll see what they can do when i go back next week.

And yeh, I've seen them a few times and tried one on today.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
disfunktion said:
... And yeh, I've seen them a few times and tried one on today.
For what it's worth, my view is that if you like it, and provided you realise that it is a fashion accessory not a quality timepiece, then buy it. I have far more respect for someone that buys something because they like it, than for someone that buys something because they think it'll impress other people.

If you like it, go for it.

But .... you mentioned interest-free credit. I would also question the sense in spending £2k on a designer watch if you need credit to do so. Still, it's your money .... or rather it isn't, if you need credit, but you know what I mean. :D

Associate
OP
Sequoia said:
But .... you mentioned interest-free credit. I would also question the sense in spending £2k on a designer watch if you need credit to do so. Still, it's your money .... or rather it isn't, if you need credit, but you know what I mean. :D

Sure - but i have the funds available but if they were offering interest free then why not take it? They said no as i'm a student,so i reserved the watch and will be going back next week once i've transfered funds from another acocunt :)

I posted on here simply to ask what discount i could expect, as i have read previously on here that a lot of places will offer a discount on high priced watches, but then i also expected people to mock it as it not a watch that conforms to the 'norm' - in that its white and not a purists watch. But as you said, I like it and it will make me happy so thats all the matters :)

Wise Guy
Permabanned
disfunktion said:
Sure - but i have the funds available but if they were offering interest free then why not take it? They said no as i'm a student,so i reserved the watch and will be going back next week once i've transfered funds from another acocunt :)
True enough. There's a difference between using interest-free credit if it's available, and needing it. If you can afford it, and want it, and have decided it's worth it to you, then go for it. It's exactly the kind of thing I'd do (though it's not my kind of watch).

As for the discount, I don't have a clue.

Soldato
Rotty said:
I doubt Chanel even make their own watches it will all be either licensed or subcontracted

Tag don't even manufacture watches , they just design , market and distribute
I wouldnt be surprised.
get either a replica of a decent watch, will set you back upto around £250 or a genuine watch from an established watchmaker (rolex panerai, breitling etc etc.)

Chanel is a scam really.

Soldato
As rotty has probably said already (didnt read sorry am tired)

Buy watches from people who make them not fashion makes.

You dont buy a car from chanel so why buy a watch from them?

KaHn

Associate
While I wouldn't buy or wear this watch myself, I agree with Sequioa - if you like it, buy it as a piece of jewellery. It's not "serious watch", but it isn't a piece of junk, either. See it as a £600 watch in a designer case.
You'll lose a shedload of cash if you try to sell it, but if you like it, that shouldn't be a consideration.

Permabanned
forgot to add in my last post ,if its a ceramic watch you are after then Rado also make ceramic watches,imo still overpriced but a lot cheaper than the chanel,if they dont modify a standard movement most watch houses just change the bridge plate to one with their own name on.

Back
Top Bottom