Can Logitech Z5500 sub be repaired

Soldato
I recently retired my Z5500's. Just out of warranty but immaculate. My mate has reported the sub is dead...no hum from it, nothing from speakers. Control pod working though. Went around to house this afternoon and then the pod died. Replaced the fuse (which I tested with a multimeter and was dead) with a 2.5amp slow blow (I hear the 2amps can blow easily at peak power) and the control pod is working again. However no hum from sub, no noise from any speakers when I run the pink sound test.

Is this a case of the amp suddenly carking it ? I wonder would a good electrical engineer be able to open such a thing and determine the fault ?

V F

V F

Soldato
Replaced the fuse (which I tested with a multimeter and was dead) with a 2.5amp slow blow (I hear the 2amps can blow easily at peak power) and the control pod is working again.

There's a reason why its 2AMP, so it doesn't kill the equipment. The fuse takes it but not your speakers. The fuse that comes with it is 2AMP obviously.

Thats quite worrying if the pod is alive but the sub is not. If the fuse goes everything is dead. I have no idea how the pod is still getting power from the sub if its dead. :s

its blowing the fuse, constantly

i replaced mine with a rolled up bit of metal, hasnt missed a beat :)

Really smart, seriously! Thats how you can start fires if it goes. I know somebody from a long time ago that wrapped tin foil around his fuses because he was that cheap, so they wouldn't blow. The equipment got it. He woke up through the night in a fire. He's lucky he woke up at all. The place was badly burnt.

You don't have to contact Logitech for fuses. You need 2AMP 20mm Slo-Blo fuse, glass or ceramic, neither matters. Mine had blown a few weeks back. Got a pack of 10 for £2.49

Google "20mm Time Glass Delay GL62S"

Soldato
OP
I know why it's 2 amp. 2.5amp gives slightly more leeway is all. Warranty is up for me so no point in contacting logitech. Friend will open sub/amp this weekend and take a look. Hopefully something easy to fix. Hardly blowing the fuse constantly if control pod working. Just hope the sub/amp is easy to fix as I haven't heard of anyone opening these up

Soldato
OP
Chickened out on repair after guy told me he would likely find cause but may not be able to fix.

Don't think it's too long out of warranty. I never registered it. Still I sent logitech a webnote with my s/n, part no. etc.. Hopefully they ship me a new one and collect the one. Worth a shot. Would hate to have to find a box/packing etc.. and ship this myself. At the end of the day I am replacing them anyway with Z10's as I want something compact. It's just I had someone lined up to buy the 5500's, effectively paying for my Z10's. Now that's on hold obviously.

Permabanned
Would you rather have had the something else more inconvenient blow?

I've had my Creative Inspire 5300 speakers for around 8-9 years now(when was the first Audigy released?)

Never had a problem with them.

The thing with the Z5500' is that you shouldn't have to replace the fuse all the time, This deems a faulty product, It must use cheap power components or whatever as the problem is widespread amoung users.

I suppose it's like those cheap light bulbs that only last 3-4 weeks.

Soldato
Just got mine today....10 mins later the fuse was blown when i switched it off with control thing still on. Small strand of cable wire and a solder iron and all sorted :) (spares on the way so i can relax it wont catch fire)

Soldato
Mine randomly died yesterday whilst playing music. I've had them since 2006 and have never had the fuse blow before.

Having checked the fuse (it is a clear glass one), it looks fine to me. There is still no power going to the control unit though.

Any suggestions?

Associate
If the fuse is testing fine, it's got to be something else. My set is still going strong and I've had it for a long time like you. It's only ever blown one fuse right after it was new.
It might have just run it's course. 14 years, depending on use, is good going.

Back
Top Bottom