Can my old DSLR be used for video capture?

Associate
I've got a Pentax K-x and haven't got a clue about video capture. Had a look at a few capture devices which all seem to have HDMI in and out. The camera according to the manual has a composite out and the physical connection would appear to be a 4-pin usb mini. I've lost the original cable but I think it was a 4-pin usb mini into the camera and 3 small phono-style plugs on the other end (red, white and yellow).

I'm really not expecting great quality, but want to dabble with before spending more time/money on.

Thanks

Soldato
Yes the k-x will shoot 720p resolution at 24fps. Simply turn the dial to movie mode and click the shutter button. Manual focus only however and its a pretty limited mode with very limited exposure options that cannot be changed on the fly.
Not sure what your references to the cables is about but the video is recorded to your memory card just like photo's. You then simply plug your card into a card reader to transfer it to your more permanent storage / editing solution.

Beware though I think the files are recorded in motion jpeg format if memory serves and which means for what is only 720p resolution they will be massive in size.

Associate
OP
Thanks Columbo.

Sorry I didn't make my question clearer. I've seen devices like the attached that allow live streaming and I wondered if my camera could be used. Making the connection to the HDMI is a little complicated - I don't see any cables that will do a USB 4-pin mini to HDMI around (and I don't know if they'd work if I found one).

615eUniXaCL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom