Can Single people with low wages afford a mortgage?

Man of Honour
On minimum wage? Depends where you are living in the country I guess, but going on 'average' house prices....no not a chance tbh, since min wage for a 37.5hr / week job is gross £12,187.50 (then less Tax and NI) a year.

Banks have gone back to lending, what, 4 times salary? so if you are looking for a house in the £50k range, then needing a minimum £5k deposit with monthly payments of I would guess ~£300, then it's just about doable.

The problem there is that a person on minimum wage will not be able to save £5K. Also, it's £295 a month at 5%...but what would they do if the interest rate went up? 6% would make it £325 a month, and if you're on low wages £30 a month is a significant amount. By 8% at most, you're losing your home.

I'm a single person on low wages (£14K) and I can afford a mortgage, but only because I bought my house 16 years ago for £28K and a friend loaned me £2800 for a deposit. I was even able to afford to take the loss resulting from taking out an endowment mortgage (as I was advised to do at the time because endowment mortgages looked like a good deal).

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem there is that a person on minimum wage will not be able to save £5K. Also, it's £295 a month at 5%...but what would they do if the interest rate went up? 6% would make it £325 a month, and if you're on low wages £30 a month is a significant amount. By 8% at most, you're losing your home.

this is a very important factor. ftr. my fixed 4yr deal moves to a tracker next month, giving me an instant saving of £140pm due to the base rate being low. i'm no financial analyst but i can't see it moving for a good few years so i will overpay.

if i get a sniff of a rise, i will fix. however, i am a little concerned that a big rise could cause me a problem. i don't know if you can go straight onto a tracker as a first time applicant, i certainly wasn't offered it. i fixed for 4 years. 2 years later, the base rate dropped, i would've paid less had i only fixed for 2 and then moved onto a tracker but i wanted the security of knowing my payments.

Soldato
This!

I can easily afford mortgage payments and running a house in the local area at just under a third of my net monthly wage with plenty of disposable left over, however...the long slog saving up the 20k I'm aiming to put down as a deposit is a different matter!!! :mad:

Yea I've no idea when il be able to afford a deposit on a house, maybe by the time im 40 o lol.

I'm single and only a few quid above minimum wage..... I'm on about 22k...

huh? What planet are some of you people on?

Last edited:
Soldato
this is a very important factor. ftr. my fixed 4yr deal moves to a tracker next month, giving me an instant saving of £140pm due to the base rate being low. i'm no financial analyst but i can't see it moving for a good few years so i will overpay.

if i get a sniff of a rise, i will fix. however, i am a little concerned that a big rise could cause me a problem. i don't know if you can go straight onto a tracker as a first time applicant, i certainly wasn't offered it. i fixed for 4 years. 2 years later, the base rate dropped, i would've paid less had i only fixed for 2 and then moved onto a tracker but i wanted the security of knowing my payments.

Interest rate shock is likely to be a significant cause of mortgage distress when rates start to rise again, second only to unforeseen changes in circumstances (partners leaving, lost jobs, poor health etc).

If you get a sniff of a rate rise, the chances are the markets will have already priced it in and the available fixed rates will already be higher.

Trackers are available to anyone, but many choose the security of fixed rates these days.

Soldato
On 30k in the south east you may be able to get something outside of London, but good luck getting a mortgage. The gap between the so called middle class and the rich is huge now. Therefore unless you're born into a family with money, there's not much opportunity.

Back in the day when for 3 times his salary, on 10k a year, my father could get a 3 bed house and the mortgage wasn't up to his neck worrying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Up north you could probably buy a whole town. Down south, without some serious cash in the bank. Nah.

Essentially you missed the boat and the home owning class are long gone. It will only get worse I suspect, until the only people who can afford to buy a house actually already own one.

Soldato
It's a joke. I'm 23 and still at home with the parents. I work full time and am trying to save as much as possible to build up a deposit & get a mortgage. I'm currently able to put away £500 a month into the savings account but other things occasionally eat out of this such as car repairs, insurance (I pay in one go as it's a lot cheaper than monthly) etc. And also a holiday each year. If i keep up saving at the rate I am now i might have enough for a decent deposit in about 3 years. That's as long as my car doesn't completely die before then and require me to buy a new one.

Soldato
It's a joke. I'm 23 and still at home with the parents. I work full time and am trying to save as much as possible to build up a deposit & get a mortgage. I'm currently able to put away £500 a month into the savings account but other things occasionally eat out of this such as car repairs, insurance (I pay in one go as it's a lot cheaper than monthly) etc. And also a holiday each year. If i keep up saving at the rate I am now i might have enough for a decent deposit in about 3 years. That's as long as my car doesn't completely die before then and require me to buy a new one.

If you were that serious, why blow money on a holiday? What is more important to you?

Last edited:
Soldato
As long title, if someones on minimum wage or near to that, would it be possible to get a mortgage. I don't think it would be possible with all your bills and food etc. You probably couldn't get any goodies like have a cheap broadband even (not important just an example) or go out and live your life.

NO. That was the function of council housing. There will ALWAYS be people in society who are too poor to afford to buy a house and renting at the current levels is almost as bad as having a mortgage. Now people have come to realise the lunacy of the council house sales and not replacing them.

On minimum wage how much would the bank give you, would they even look at you. And how much of a deposit would be the minimum that you should save?

No, you would be too much of a risk. Unless we enter another period of mega cheap finance then forget it.

Don
Depends on what you'd class as low wages really.

I bought my first place on the Government scheme (shared equitity) on under 20k a year standard wage. If you'd class that as low wage then yes - I'd probably be able to afford it on less than 16k or so, but I like to live a bit :p

Now the wife finished Uni and works we split everything, so makes it easier.

I'd say it's doable.

Associate
Why would you want one on minium wage?! That's just retarded.

Why

Mortgage repayments can be a lot cheaper than rent

Not when you are on minimum wage. Unless someone in your family help you out it is a bit of a daft thing to aim for IMO.

The house is still not yours until you've paid it off anyway. You miss a couple of payments, bye bye house.

Soldato

Why do you need a mortgage? I mean really.

At 23, shouldn't you be having fun rather than worrying about a house? Do that lame stuff when you're older. Go and see the world.

Soldato
If you were that serious, why blow money on a holiday? What is more important to you?
See below quote

At 23, shouldn't you be having fun rather than worrying about a house? Do that lame stuff when you're older. Go and see the world.

That's why I make sure I go away on holiday every year. I'm not wasting my young life doing nothing but saving money. My point is that getting a house shouldn't be that hard!

Back
Top Bottom