Can someone explain Sky/Virgin TV to me?

Soldato
You're not paying for freeview. What's actually happening is that your are renting the PVR box so you can record. Freeview PVRs are absolute poo, but they still cost £150? so if the contract is 18 months (£150/18=£12.50). The kicker though, is if you ever decide to cancel you have to return the equipment.
You are basically paying to rent a PVR.

Humax do the aura android freeview PVR.....it's rubbish.

A Youview box is idiot / technophobe proof. I found it easier to explain than the Sky Q box they switched from, especially that new touch remote. God that lasted about 2 seconds before they gave up on it. :p You used to be able to pickup the 1TB version for about £50 second hand but they seem to be a bit harder to find at the moment.

A friend had a Freesat PVR and yeah that was awful, the guide looked like something from the 90's. The Virgin box is pretty bad though, the remote isn't great either.

Associate
The people who think it's "oh so simple" have clearly never encountered a person for whom it is completely unfathomable.

And actually, when you start digging around in these (many, disparate) UIs with a very critical UX hat on, you find often they are riddled with inconsistency and things that only "make sense" when you've grown up with them and understand their idiosyncrasies.

Having tried (and failed) to teach someone who hates "tech" to do the most basic things, you realise that it really is an alien world to those who don't have the required mindset to make sense of it.

What you and I take for granted, is akin to the most complicated quantum equation ever conceived, to such people.

That's why we're keeping Sky. Because the basics have been learned over many, many years, and the thought of learning multiple new UIs is terrifying.

I've just been through this with my mum, her Samsung TV (my old one) ran out of app updates etc and I set her up with an old youview box to share my video apps what with being house bound due to Covid, she got used to it and likes it a lot, seeing as she was enjoying the smart side of TV, I thought I would be a good son and upgrade her TV as my old Samsung has that feature where you can upgrade the internals for newer hardware and the latest apps/os ( I say latest 2018, still miles better than the OS from 4-5yrs before), also got her fibre instead of the couple of MB she had to reduce buffering.

It worked great the upgrade, snappy interface, fast traversal on a remote with less buttons, you could even talk to it, I sat there wondering why Samsung no longer do this, it is a great option upgradeable TVs, anyway 2 days later, my mum calls me, I don't like it, I want the old TV back, she couldn't get on with it, she just liked what she had, it did everything and was easy, so I ripped it all out and she just uses a youview box. Its clear, no frills and just works.

I recently joined Sky again last year after a perhaps 15-20 year hiatus on Freeview etc, all that time I didn't miss it as I stream a fair bit, but the deal that came with an LG TV led to a cheap sub when taking into account that I was already paying for BB, phone and Netflix etc and this wrapped it up in a similar amount and I got more, particulalry F1, I can say without hesitation it has come on leaps and bounds, its probably the best thing I have used, the amount of content particularly UHD is pretty strong, its definitely worth the deal price, I'd even pay a touch more but its actual price.....I'll be out of it if I can't get another deal its almost £2k a year. (I have pretty much everything bundled)

Youview boxes are a good call if you uare going sub free, it does work better with an internet connection but does work without one, you will loose some guide stuff and the ability to go back through the guide which my mum likes to use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom