Can someone finish off this design please

Soldato
Hi, I wonder if anyone can finish off a design I have done, I would like to make it so the torch can be remove out of the side of the holder, rather then having to remove the holder completely from my chair everytime I want to take the torch out of the holder

As you can see the torch slides out from the back and the torch wont slide out from the back when the holder is mounted to my chair. So Im thinking if the side of the holder was hinged I could remove the torch that way, but thats way to complicated for me to design, so Im wondering if 1 of you good people could modify the holder for me? I have been using sketchup to design the holder and I can upload you the file if needed

zmJdEix.jpg

wz9v3ja.jpg

Close up pics and measurements..

OkT3nol.jpg

6eGjwb2.jpg

UmsG13k.jpg

Y8FC6GG.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Why not design some clips to clip hold it in, leave the side open to put the torch in and out?

I would suggest a square section at the front and two separate pipe clips, may even be able to grab the clips off somewhere like thingiverse and screw then into the box holder.

Just a thought.

Matt

Soldato
OP
Can you give me the measurement of the wood section?

Also upload your current design :)

Im sorry, I missed your post.. I have just redesigned it and its printing now and the rod it also plastic, fastened on to the holder with cable ties

I went for the easy approach and got rid of the corners at the front so the torch will slide out that way and holes to slide a rod across the front to make the hole just small enough so the light cant slide out and I have rounded all the corners..

Now I need a idea how to keep the rod in place so it dosent fall out? I was thinking of a screw thread on 1 end for the rod and printing out a nut, but the rod will be too thin for a screw thread., my printer cant print out threads that small as the rod will only be 5.5mm thick.

ojYhnxv.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Im sorry, I missed your post.. I have just redesigned it and its printing now and the rod it also plastic, fastened on to the holder with cable ties

I went for the easy approach and got rid of the corners at the front so the torch will slide out that way and holes to slide a rod across the front to make the hole just small enough so the light cant slide out and I have rounded all the corners..

Now I need a idea how to keep the rod in place so it dosent fall out?

ojYhnxv.jpg

I was thinking of not going at all with a box. More create a set of clips with a top cover that hold it in place and will clip off of the plastic rod, or even be part of the plastic rod. I was just trying to gauge the measurements. I am still more than willing to design something funky as I spend loads of time in CAD designing parts for my printers :) If you don't get on with your new design send me a message on here and we can work on something different together :D

Soldato
OP
Im gutted that I missed your post till now as Im guessing you could have designed something much better. I will see how my idea turns out now that its printing and if Im still not happy, I would be very grateful, thanks.... I think I'll keep the box idea as it stops the torch getting knocked about as I have knocked the box onto walls, ect loads of times now and the box is still it one piece keeping the torch safe inside

I have quickly knocked up a rod/stick with a rounded handle to stop the torch sliding out (5.5mm x 80mm)

SoqYtXb.jpg

Man of Honour
Im gutted that I missed your post till now as Im guessing you could have designed something much better. I will see how my idea turns out now that its printing and if Im still not happy, I would be very grateful, thanks.... I think I'll keep the box idea as it stops the torch getting knocked about as I have knocked the box onto walls, ect loads of times now and the box is still it one piece keeping the torch safe inside

I have quickly knocked up a rod/stick with a rounded handle to stop the torch sliding out (5.5mm x 80mm)

SoqYtXb.jpg

Possibly not, I have a great number of ideas but really what works for you is much more important and I never even considered knocking the torch etc. I could easily design a flap that you can open to slide the torch out though if you find it slides out at the front.

Whats the print time on the box?

Soldato
OP
Well 30hrs to begin with, now its down to 13hrs left, It would be terrible to stop it as its used a lot of plastic so far.... are you on skype or whatsapp as we can chat on there and I can send you my design to play about with?

Man of Honour
Well 30hrs to begin with, now its down to 13hrs left, It would be terrible to stop it as its used a lot of plastic so far.... are you on skype or whatsapp as we can chat on there and I can send you my design to play about with?

I am on whatsapp. Ill swing you over my number in trust. Always happy to help. Ive just stuck an upgrade on my printer with a 0.8mm nozzel for bigger prints. Have halved the print time on or more on everything that doesnt need massive detail. Was dialling it all in yesterday :)

Soldato
OP
I am totally useless at 3d designing, I can only do simple stuff, the app I use is sketchup and its hard to get it todo what I want it todo.. Im not sure if my wanhao i3 is powerful enough to take a larger nozzle as it will need to melt the plastic faster while trying to stay at the correct temp.

Man of Honour
I am totally useless at 3d designing, I can only do simple stuff, the app I use is sketchup and its hard to get it todo what I want it todo.. Im not sure if my wanhao i3 is powerful enough to take a larger nozzle as it will need to melt the plastic faster while trying to stay at the correct temp.

Im rocking a ctc 75 quid printer. I put a mk7 extruder on it. And some other upgrades. This print is a 0.8mm using the i3 clone. Second ill find it. It took about 27 ish mins to print that.

It doesnt have the original motherboard drivers or firmware but those upgrades in total to that machine cost about 45 quid.

Soldato
OP
Wow,, thats a huge build plate, mines only 200mm square and it costed like £300, but it was already made. Thats the problem with a larger nozzle, the detail goes, but for printing simple things, ie my torch holder it would be ideal. It dosent help having the walls 3mm thick and 0.2mm layer height, but I need strength to cope with the abuse.

Man of Honour
Wow,, thats a huge build plate, mines only 200mm square and it costed like £300, but it was already made. Thats the problem with a larger nozzle, the detail goes, but for printing simple things, ie my torch holder it would be ideal. It dosent help having the walls 3mm thick and 0.2mm layer height, but I need strength to cope with the abuse.

Thats 220x220 and the model is about 12cm high. Printed at 230 degres and 0.54 layer height. Is very strong though. Very flexible.

Soldato
OP
I cant get the layer hight much past 0.3 at a decent speed because the layers dont bond together well .. Mine prints upto 180mm hightwise and I do print things quite tall often, as you can see from my torch holder. I hate using supports if I dont have to. Your printer look like it can print 250mm+ hightwise

79vHtTI.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
mine prints upto 180mm high and I do print things quite tall often, as you can see from my torch holder. I hate using supports if I dont have to.

79vHtTI.jpg

That is an i3 clone done right by the looks of it. Mine is full on ghetto :D I am however building one of my own design that should be a fair bit better. Should, its going 32bit, tmc drivers, 235x235 bed loads of other cool stuff like bl touch, touch screen etc. Just for the technical challenge and how good it may or may not be after :D I already have all the parts and have written the firmware but am slacking on the build!

To be fair the list of stuff changed on that current machine is slightly silly. Just sent you that trust btw. :)

The rules appear to be 80% of nozzel width and a lot hotter. I use the prusa calculator to make sure it wont error also. but yea if my little machine can handle a bigger nozzel I recon yours has a chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well so far so good, theres no way the torch is going to slide out with that rod in the way(famous last words) and its not covering much of the led's either. Now I need to find a way to keep the rod in place but still being able to remove it easy,,,ummmm?

MPCTom6.jpg

Soldato
Is there a reason it slides in from the side and not from the top?
The bottom plate would stop it from falling all the way through. It could be thinner and sit in the centre.

Soldato
OP
The rod is fitted on the top to fasten it to my chair... The torch is not in the centre because the top of the holder is sloped so it is at a slight angle, pointing downwards. Ill show you a better picture of it, when its back on my chair.

Man of Honour
Well so far so good, theres no way the torch is going to slide out with that rod in the way(famous last words) and its not covering much of the led's either. Now I need to find a way to keep the rod in place but still being able to remove it easy,,,ummmm?

MPCTom6.jpg

Looking good Phil - Still havent managed to have a play with the designs as I pulled an all nighter re-wiring our London office last night getting ready for our departure :( I will send you them over whatsapp when I have had a look. That print looks good mate.

Soldato
OP
Well I think I have kind of sorted the bar out, I just kept reprinting it out until fitted in tightly and I'll probably put some tape over it, to make sure it doesnt slide out

Heres the pics, you can see how its slightly pointing down and inwards... Sorry chair needs a bit of a clean.

Q4ZFAFG.jpg

irXD7X4.jpg

ASrjD60.jpg

zkSLPJR.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom