can veggies own a dog?

Soldato
I have to say I don't quite get why anyone would want to eat Quorn all that often. If you feel that much of a need to eat something that is a bit like meat then why exactly are you a vegetarian?

Of course there are valid reasons, but since vegetables and so on can be very delicious when done right, I don't quite see the need for "meat substitute".

Soldato
PinkPig said:
I have to say I don't quite get why anyone would want to eat Quorn all that often. If you feel that much of a need to eat something that is a bit like meat then why exactly are you a vegetarian?

Of course there are valid reasons, but since vegetables and so on can be very delicious when done right, I don't quite see the need for "meat substitute".
Isn't it unbelievably obvious? Why do people even ask this question?

Just because you decide to go vegetarian doesn't mean meat suddenly tastes like ashes. Let me ask you, if you love steak but decide not to eat it, and then someone says have some steak substitute which is almost as good, would you have it or not? Of course you would.

Man of Honour
xyphic said:
It's also natural for humans to eat meat - we are omnivores. It's just social conscience that makes most people into vegetarians or vegans (I accept that some people just don't like meat, but that's a different matter). I find it quite hypocritical when someone who objects to eating meat because of farming methods, or other ethical reasons has no qualms about feeding their pets meat products. I suspect most who do this simply don't think about it.

To say it like that is oversimplifying slightly, we are omnivorous which gives us the capacity to eat meat but doesn't mean we have to unlike say cats who tend to become unhealthy if they are not fed at least some meat.

Just to check if I'm getting your argument here it is that as a non-meat eater I shouldn't be able to own any pet that eats meat but a horse or a rabbit would be ok? It isn't a question of thinking about it or not thinking about it, being vegetarian is a choice I made, not one my pet made and I do not have the right to make them unhealthy because of it.

Soldato
phykell said:
Isn't it unbelievably obvious? Why do people even ask this question?

Just because you decide to go vegetarian doesn't mean meat suddenly tastes like ashes. Let me ask you, if you love steak but decide not to eat it, and then someone says have some steak substitute which is almost as good, would you have it or not? Of course you would.

And another reason for eating quorn or another 'meat substitute' is that it's a good source of protein, something that a vegetarian diet does lack a bit (along with iron)

Because the human body can digest meat doesn't mean it's a necessary part of our diet, you can be perfectly healthy and not eat meat, as long as you think about your diet and replacing the protein and iron that meat (well red meat in the case of the iron) tends to provide...

Soldato
Dogs like humans are omnivores and with a properly planned diet can also be vegetarians apparently. Now cats are a different matter, they are carnivores and cannot get all that they need without eating meat.

Although I cant see many dogs being too happy with a non meat diet ;) As for the justification of a vegetarian not eating meat but feeding there pets meat its quite simple. They can make the choice there pet cannot.

Permabanned
singist said:
Sorry, I think that the above sort of misinformation is irresponsible!

More and more people are turning to RAW meat diets and finding that their pets become healthier; to state that dogs shouldn't eat raw meat is wrong; kibble and cooked meat is not as good for them, but not particularly harmful.

Raw meat is the natural source of protein for both carnivorous and omnivorous animals. Protein is an amino acid, and an amino acid is a molecule. Raw meat is made up of long molecule chains that are easily broken down by the dog's digestive system. The long molecule chain is broken into short chain amino acids through the cooking process, and the dog is left with a deficiency of a complete amino acid profile. Amino acids, essential nutrients, enzymes and antioxidants are destroyed or altered through the cooking process. These nutrients are absolutely vital to good health, and in fact are essential for every biochemical activity in your dog's body. The feeding of cooked or processed foods interferes with many of the body's normal functions, and therefore is responsible for impairing or otherwise compromising the immune system. When fat in the meat is cooked it transforms to trans-fats, which are toxic and have been found to have a detrimental effect on the immune system, cell membranes and liver function.

So why is heart disease the biggest killer amongst the Boxers breed due to eating raw meat!? For a non-working dog, earting raw meat is in itself irresponsible. In addition, dogs cannot digest wheat, so Kibble made up of wheat, etc, can also be problematic to a dogs digestive system.

There was a huge debate a while ago about dog kibble and the scrap meat they put into it and how it was manily Rusk!

James Wellbeloved - we salute you!

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought Boxers had heart issues anyways, raw meat or not. Mine would eat raw meat but prefers cooked stuff, especially if it's covered in gravy. And he's also partial to Gingerbread men.

Man of Honour
elroberto said:
I thought Boxers had heart issues anyways, raw meat or not.

Correct, they suffer from heart issues due to the breeding which also manifests itself in breathing difficulties unfortunately so a lot of Boxers have 'snotty' noses. Lovely dogs despite that and so loyal it is almost untrue, very gentle around children if brought up right, the ones I know would defend the owners kids to the death I reckon :)

Caporegime
My neighbours cats eat some weird vegetarian food. I think it's made of nuts. I heard that cats and dogs needed some specific proteins that are only found in meat though, so perhaps they add something to the nuts.

Soldato
I reckon they get bloodlust and go berserk killing and eating. The last thing we need is crazy veggie pets

LOL. Reminds me of a time when my wife's vegetarian friend went beserk and almost bit her hand off over a ham sandwich. She'd been a veggie for 7 years and it finally got too much. Needless to say, she loved the sarnie.

Man of Honour
I was a vegetarian for 3 years but I have recently packed it in and will eat anything now. :cool:

A dog is designed to eat meat, more so than a human, and I find it difficult to believe that they would have heart disease problems; the fat content doesn't change just because it is cooked.

Man of Honour
Le_Petit_Lapin said:
Mental?

I'd consider anyone who doesnt enjoy a good bacon buttie on a regular basis "a bit mental" to be honest. :p

I have to agree. After starting to eat meat again a few months ago the first thing I ate was a bacon sandwich. OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heaven in sandwich form. :)

Soldato
AJUK said:
...the fat content doesn't change just because it is cooked.
Yes it does. If you heat up a high-fat food the fat will melt and run off the food. That's why it's healthier to grill than to fry food in its own fat.

Man of Honour
phykell said:
Yes it does. If you heat up a high-fat food the fat will melt and run off the food. That's why it's healthier to grill than to fry food in its own fat.
I doubt they use a George Forman grill in a dog food factory and even if they did they would just pour the fat back into the food mix to bulk it out. Yummy. ;)

Soldato
basmic said:
Why should these vegeterians inflict their beliefs onto others?

If they don't eat meat, that fine; I respect that. But when they try and tell me that I mustn't kill animals, amongst the rest of their tripe - well they can go swivel.

WTF is with this Quorn BS? "Oh I fancy some chicken tonight - but I don't want one which has meat in it, so it'll be Quorn for me tonight."

If they enjoy the taste and texture of meat so much for them to go and buy Quorn, at least eat the real thing - it's far better. Oh, and I have tried Quorn before anybody asks - nothing beats the taste of 100% processed gunk. :rolleyes:

As for this "In addition, the dogs shouldnt eat raw meat as they cant digest it (popular to contrary believe) and it contributes to heart disease". Well do they have some sort method of cooking the meat, and do they get jabs to stop them getting diseases? NO - because their immune systems knows how to deal with it.

You need to clam down to be honest. You're complaining that vegitarians tell you what to eat when your slamming quorn. I dont need to tell you that's the attitude of a hypocritical SOB I'm sure you're not a hypocrite, are you?. There's nothing wrong with quorn. I'm a hot blooded meat eater - i cook a damn fine rump steak, but i like quorn. Its brilliant stuff, can be made to taste like all sorts and is a good alternative if you like the taste of meat but dont want to eat it. Also as said, its a good source of protein whcih a vegitarian diet will generally lack.

The trouble with all these jabs etc, is they make us all soft sods. I strongly believe we should have a bit of contamination in our food, regulary too. Our immune systems will build up a protection to fight these contaminations. We don't need bloody jabs.

well that at least i agree with. I dont take pills, if i have a headache i deal with it. I'm not the fittest, but i am one of the healthiet people i know. my attendace record right thru school and on to work reflect this.

Last edited:
Associate
Jon Frost said:
As above really.

As dogs eat meat, can veggies/do veggies own dogs / cats?

Jon

/random thought.

As long as they dont eat thier dog they should be fine.

Vegies are wierdos anyway. Give me a medium/rare steak with the blood running out any day!

Back
Top Bottom