Can you blow anything up unlocking Phenom II cores?

Associate
I just finished setting up my new Phenom II x2 BE system, on a gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 rev2 motherboard.

Once I got everything setup and running on stock, I decided to see if I could unlock the extra 2 cores on the cpu. I followed the instructions on a forum and modified the bios to use 4 cores. I applied the settings, and the bios flashed up 'updating EEC bios, do not power off the system' for a few seconds then the PC switched off. It turned back on, nothing on the screen, and turned off about 10 seconds later.

I left it a minute or two and tried the power button, nothing happened. I pulled out the power lead, left it a minute, plugged back in and tried the power button, nothing happened.

I then checked for clearing the CMOS, found the jumper and shorted it (with power lead pulled out). Plugged the power in, pressed the button and the all the fans start spinning and you can hear the disks spinning up aswell but there is nothing on the screen, the monitor gets no signal.

I have tried clearing the bios again without success, and once I power it on the only way to turn it off is to pull the plug.

I have all the cables plugged in correctly (the system was running fine before I tried to unlock the cores) but don't know what else I can try. I don't have a speaker so I don't know if there are any error beeps.

Could I of blown something up, the CPU or even the PSU? Anyone got any recommendations, I really hope I haven't screwed a brand new setup on day1 :\

Associate
OP
Hmm, another tip for thinking things through before panicing -

If you are trying to clear the bios, make sure you are shorting the correct jumper :D

Back
Top Bottom