Can you legends sanity check a build please.

Associate
Good evening,

My brother is upgrading (finally) from a laptop to a full-blown PC for gaming. Mostly DOTA 2 but wants some future-proofing and the ability to play new games at max settings if he wants to.

The build below is very similar to the one I purchased from Overclockers recently, but I wanted to see if there are any savings or improvements now that the new motherboard series and 30 series NVidia cards have been released.

Grateful as always for your advice.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,218.64 (includes shipping: £20.82)​

Soldato
Good evening,

My brother is upgrading (finally) from a laptop to a full-blown PC for gaming. Mostly DOTA 2 but wants some future-proofing and the ability to play new games at max settings if he wants to.

The build below is very similar to the one I purchased from Overclockers recently, but I wanted to see if there are any savings or improvements now that the new motherboard series and 30 series NVidia cards have been released.

Grateful as always for your advice.

Total: £2,218.64 (includes shipping: £20.82)

Ultra wide has non cheating advantages in DOTA2

Total: £1,290.66 (includes shipping: £20.82)

Even saved enough case for RTX 3080 on the 17Th to your build ;)

Intel

Total: £1,389.50 (includes shipping: £19.62)

Both way over powered for DOTA2 mind​

Last edited:
Associate
Orbitalwash's AMD spec is more like it than your original, which I hope you don't mind me saying is a little unbalance, ott in some areas, but conservative in others.

Monitor tech is a personal thing. On Tom's Hardware they say Panel tech: for image quality, TN < IPS < VA. There is a post above saying something different.

Screen size depends on how close you like to sit, and resolution obviously. Ie for reading text, at arms length, for games a bit further, for movies further?. Many people will say that 27" is the most for 1440. I like 32" at 1440, but I'm in my fifties and have text etc set to 110%.

edit : do NOT under any circumstances order a 2000 series nvidia retail card at retail at present (Sorry, OC)

Last edited:
Soldato
@Grafter67

Don't be sorry to OCUK haha. Did another one of these but listed 2070S but told user not to buy until after the Nvidia announcement and they were glad, but the 3070 matched the 2070s pricing so they could see where the money was going .

I have the older Aorus IPS panel. Love it but for HDR have to drop to 120hz from 144hz. These never ones are a lot better but personally I play RTS so would love to swap to that 34" one, specially now working at home
And 32" is bang on for 1440p unless you sit closer then 27 but most people don't. 4k needs to be 39" personally

Soldato
An 850w psu for a 230w Gpu and a 100w CPU?

About 150w full load (rendering) for 3700x (but gaming wouldn't do that ).

But 750w should do it.

Wondering if Nvidia have returned to Maxwell days of you can just pump huge watts for big overclock IF you can keep it call... Extra back up to Big Navi ... Fingers crossed .

Went for 750w for RTX 3080 . Personally torn now. Have 650w SFX PSU that I don't think will just the mustered

Soldato
Have 650w SFX PSU that I don't think will just the mustered
Are you hearing something through the grapevine, Orbi?

I was assuming that a quality 650W unit being enough for an average gaming machine upgrade even clocked. (Although, with prices so similar 750W makes sense if buying a new unit.)

Soldato
An 850w psu for a 230w Gpu and a 100w CPU?

Max power draw on that CPU is well over 100W. And the motherboard will draw some power. Remember that bit in the OP about allowing for the future? And allow for overclocking. Power draw could easily exceed 500W with only modest overclocking.

Soldato
Are you hearing something through the grapevine, Orbi?

I was assuming that a quality 650W unit being enough for an average gaming machine upgrade even clocked. (Although, with prices so similar 750W makes sense if buying a new unit.)

Got the BeQuiet 850w.. just like the small form factor haha

Back
Top Bottom