• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can you recommend me my first Nvidia in 20 years RTX 2080

Soldato
I will say that the radeon 7's hbm2 ram makes games loading times non existent compared to the nvidia gddr6, its like the difference between ssd and hdd.
And the drivers are much nicer with the AMD but if they crash the pc needs restarting, as with the nvidia if it crashes it just recovers itself.
I hate to say this but although i loved my radeon 7 so much, this card is just better in nearly every way..........

100% false.

Games textures is stored on hard disk either SSD and HDD. When you launched games and it allocated some RAM need to launched games to reached the game menu and then when you started to played game, it will display loading screen. Behind the loading screen you never see what it was doing, the game actually in fact was busy loaded the level or map textures data from hard disk to RAM and then RAM loaded all textures data to GPU VRAM. When the textures loaded to VRAM is completed and the GPU is started to rendered the scenes as game started to play.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark loading time.

Radeon VII loading time started at 0:11 and end at 0:38 when benchmark started to run. HBM2 took 27 seconds.

RTX 2080 loading time started at 0:15 and end at 0:29 when benchmark started to run. GDDR6 took 14 seconds.

So HBM2 did not makes games loading times non existent compared to GDDR6 but HBM2 is slower than GDDR6.

You made big mistake bought Radeon VII. Terrible decision.

Not really surprised to heard that Radeon driver crashed will need PC restarted. Horrible driver. Not impressed.

Soldato
OP
100% false.

Games textures is stored on hard disk either SSD and HDD. When you launched games and it allocated some RAM need to launched games to reached the game menu and then when you started to played game, it will display loading screen. Behind the loading screen you never see what it was doing, the game actually in fact was busy loaded the level or map textures data from hard disk to RAM and then RAM loaded all textures data to GPU VRAM. When the textures loaded to VRAM is completed and the GPU is started to rendered the scenes as game started to play.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark loading time.

Radeon VII loading time started at 0:11 and end at 0:38 when benchmark started to run. HBM2 took 27 seconds.

RTX 2080 loading time started at 0:15 and end at 0:29 when benchmark started to run. GDDR6 took 14 seconds.

So HBM2 did not makes games loading times non existent compared to GDDR6 but HBM2 is slower than GDDR6.

You made big mistake bought Radeon VII. Terrible decision.

Not really surprised to heard that Radeon driver crashed will need PC restarted. Horrible driver. Not impressed.

Number 1. You haven't obviously read this thread very well.

Number 2.those videos are on two different systems by two different people.

Number 3. I, me, myself noticed it instantly when playing games after using the 2080

Number 4. I don't have the radeon 7 anymore I have a 2080, I loved the radeon 7 but I wanted to move to Nvidia as I haven't for 20 years and wanted to have a honest opinion of both sides.

Soldato
Its really not, I had both cards briefly before I sold the amd one, testing it before sending. There was blurring with FreeSync on, that had completely gone with gsync compatible turned on now...

If that was the case then you had a faulty VII. There is no blurring with AMD cards and Freesync. If there was, don't you think there would be ton of reports on it? The only report of blur while using either sync solution came from Nvidia as a warning that some uncertified monitors might be blurry.

But, your words were that it was smoother, not once in either thread did you say blurring, until I said it was placebo.

It's not possible for it to be smoother on one than the other. It's not that kind of tech. Either it's working and it's syncing frames or its not, and if it isn't, it's instantly noticeable.

Soldato
OP
If that was the case then you had a faulty VII. There is no blurring with AMD cards and Freesync. If there was, don't you think there would be ton of reports on it? The only report of blur while using either sync solution came from Nvidia as a warning that some uncertified monitors might be blurry.

But, your words were that it was smoother, not once in either thread did you say blurring, until I said it was placebo.

It's not possible for it to be smoother on one than the other. It's not that kind of tech. Either it's working and it's syncing frames or its not, and if it isn't, it's instantly noticeable.
I will be more detailed as you don't believe me.

When i turned really really fast left to right with the mouse in a fps game, and looked at a mountain in the distance it would be out of focus while moving so fast, i.e blurry or not smooth, it lacked definition of the object.

I tried the same test on the 2080 and the object remained sharp and detailed no matter how fast i moved left and right to try and make it happen.
It just feels smoother in general and i noticed it right away when turning it onto gsync compatable (which it says the monitor is not certified for but still works)

Im just giving my observation, which is completely true as I tested it when i swapped back to the radeon 7 to test it. Freesync worked great don't get me wrong, just when i did the above i noticed a difference.

Soldato
I will be more detailed as you don't believe me.

When i turned really really fast left to right with the mouse in a fps game, and looked at a mountain in the distance it would be out of focus while moving so fast, i.e blurry or not smooth, it lacked definition of the object.

I tried the same test on the 2080 and the object remained sharp and detailed no matter how fast i moved left and right to try and make it happen.
It just feels smoother in general and i noticed it right away when turning it onto gsync compatable (which it says the monitor is not certified for but still works)

Im just giving my observation, which is completely true as I tested it when i swapped back to the radeon 7 to test it. Freesync worked great don't get me wrong, just when i did the above i noticed a difference.

Your observation, if it's true and not placebo, tells me that your freesync wasn't working great. Both solutions work the exact same way, both are syncing frames to the monitor, it would be impossible to tell the difference in smoothness if both are working correctly. That's not just me saying this, professional monitor reviewers have noticed no difference between them.

Ah, sorry, I am going to stop, this isn't important anyway!!

What's important is that you are enjoying your new card. :)

Soldato
OP
Your observation, if it's true and not placebo, tells me that your freesync wasn't working great. Both solutions work the exact same way, both are syncing frames to the monitor, it would be impossible to tell the difference in smoothness if both are working correctly. That's not just me saying this, professional monitor reviewers have noticed no difference between them.

Ah, sorry, I am going to stop, this isn't important anyway!!

What's important is that you are enjoying your new card. :)
Thanks man! I am
And I have been gaming since I was 5 years old on a vic 20, I can tell the difference. Those reviewers are wrong, on this particular monitor it is different enough that you would notice too if i showed you.

Soldato
Those reviewers are wrong, on this particular monitor it is different enough that you would notice too if i showed you.

Never mind!! Just enjoy the card and maybe consider selling it and upgrade to the 2080 super :) It's the best time to do it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Number 1. You haven't obviously read this thread very well.

Yes I read this thread very well, you should had bought RTX 2080 in the first place.

Number 2.those videos are on two different systems by two different people.

Your comment is irrelevant. Everybody used systems with different CPU, different motherboard, different RAM, different HDDs/SSDs and different graphic card.

The interesting thing with Radeon VII video used i7 5930K 6C/12T CPU, ASUS X99 Pro motherboard, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 SSD for OS and lighting fast 3000 MB/s read/2200MB/s write Toshiba 2TB NVME SSD for games where Shadow of the Tomb Raider was installed. RTX 2080 video used i7 6700K 4C/8T CPU, Gigabyte Z170 HD3P motherboard, 32GB RAM, 2x Sandisk SSD Plus 240gb Raid 0 for OS, 2x WD Black 2TB HDDs and 2x Toshiba 3TB HDDs, either one of these slowest HDD where Shadow of the Tomb Raider was installed.

Number 3. I, me, myself noticed it instantly when playing games after using the 2080

No I never noticed it when playing games with RTX 2080 and previously GTX 1070 on current 8700K CPU with 32GB DDR4 and my old system with 3770K with 16GB DDR3 used old graphics cards GTX 1070, GTX 970, GTX 670 4GB, GTX 470 and GTX 260.

It could be possible down to poor Ryzen RAM timing?

What games did you claimed you noticed it instantly?

Maybe it will be easy if you can upload videos to show us the issue or you could find other videos with same issue.

Soldato
OP
Yes I read this thread very well, you should had bought RTX 2080 in the first place.

Your comment is irrelevant. Everybody used systems with different CPU, different motherboard, different RAM, different HDDs/SSDs and different graphic card.

The interesting thing with Radeon VII video used i7 5930K 6C/12T CPU, ASUS X99 Pro motherboard, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 SSD for OS and lighting fast 3000 MB/s read/2200MB/s write Toshiba 2TB NVME SSD for games where Shadow of the Tomb Raider was installed. RTX 2080 video used i7 6700K 4C/8T CPU, Gigabyte Z170 HD3P motherboard, 32GB RAM, 2x Sandisk SSD Plus 240gb Raid 0 for OS, 2x WD Black 2TB HDDs and 2x Toshiba 3TB HDDs, either one of these slowest HDD where Shadow of the Tomb Raider was installed.

No I never noticed it when playing games with RTX 2080 and previously GTX 1070 on current 8700K CPU with 32GB DDR4 and my old system with 3770K with 16GB DDR3 used old graphics cards GTX 1070, GTX 970, GTX 670 4GB, GTX 470 and GTX 260.

It could be possible down to poor Ryzen RAM timing?

What games did you claimed you noticed it instantly?

Maybe it will be easy if you can upload videos to show us the issue or you could find other videos with same issue.

Ummm..

You win by blunt force confusion and nonsense, congrats

I shouldn't have bought the 2080 in the first place, I want to see both sides to have an informed opinion. (try it, it's fun)

Those systems are different enough to not represent an adequate test result without variables, where as my system was identical, with just the GPU changed between results making it pretty accurate.

You never noticed it using only nvidia cards from different generations..???:eek::eek::eek::eek:... well what a suprise, how does that correlate to me comparing freesync and gsync compatible.... ?
My ram timings are amazing actually, the real ones (not my signature, that's a joke~)
are 14.13.13.13.32.42 @3000mhz for 32gb.

Games i noticed this effect in - PUBG - APEX legends - RAinbow 6 siege.

Upload a video you say, but........
"Yes I read this thread very well, you should had bought RTX 2080 in the first place."-- You.
Good reading, I sold the radeon 7 remember...... In this post that you read??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom