Can you still buy bass' ? >.O

Soldato
that subs 100w?, i bet that could kill a z5500 sub @ 188watt, seems like z5500 sub in not using power at a good level or somthing, maybe i should buy a 15" 1000w sub and put it in my cupboard lol

Soldato
it rated at ~350w RMS/800 peak if i remember, but the driver rating its really irrelvant when its in a box. You dont really need more than 100w in a well designed box when your talking about 12/15" subs. They are already VERY loud with that kind of input.

almostr always bigger driver + bigger box = higher efficiancy, not to mention better sound quality. That allows you to get away with using smaller amps.

Last edited:
Soldato
no i have heard quality bass, wird enough my dads volvo v70 has better quality speakers than my logitech z5500 and the speakers are ones that came with the car, the bass in that is quality, abit of tweaking and i can get quality bass from the z5500, sometimes i like to hear how the song is meant to be, of course i do, just sometimes i like LOUD Boomy Bass.

Hey james, if you dont mind me asking, what is the make and model of that sub in your wall? might try to see if i can get one. If i get one i will mount it at the bottom of my wardrobe were the draws are, al just seal it then put the sub in and then make a port hole, its a 15" sub right? does the magnet count on a sub, i have seen the magnet on the z5500, it look preety big, maybe if i put it in a bigger box i would hear louder and better bass.

Last edited:
Soldato
that's probably the worst idea ever mate lol. Sub enclusers need to be made from solid 18mm mdf, not chipboard and i certainly wouldnt want everythning in the wardrobe rattling like hell.

if you thinking about a sub you need to design and build the box properly otherwise it will sound like a bag of crap. you'd also need an amp to power it, a crossover to feed the amp ect ect.

really you need to decide what you want. cheap spekaers or quality sound. you cant really have both, although custom builds can be very cheap if you know what you're doing.

Soldato
course i would want quality sound, in the wall in my room i got this built in cupboard, dunno if its good enough, aint sure about amps, now sure whats a good amp to power a subwoofer thats say 1000watt RMS and some good quality speakers, i was thinking maybe use the z5500 for movies and games and get 2 quality tower speakers and just have a 2.1 Hi-Fi speaker, even my dad agrees that a Hi-Fi will put my z5500's to shame, but of course, i would want to have a really good sub, there are some preety powerfull subs for about £100, some over 500Watts RMS, i know i proberbly would use the whole capacity of the sub, but if i need it, it's there, i dont understand why people stick like 4 18" 5000w RMS subs in there cars when they probs wont use even 25% of it all :\, i aint sure what size sub to get, dunno weather 8" 10" 12" 15" oe 18" to buy, maybe 2 10's or 2 8's, i would like 2.

Suspended
Just buy a transducer and bolt it to your skull, it sounds like what you're after.

Alternatively buy a good subwoofer, that Servodrive Contrabass and a Crown K2.

Subwoofer "wattage" has nothing to do with maximum output, depth or flat freuqnecy response. You can build an efficient subwoofer and drive it with a 25W amplifier.

http://www.servodrive.com/contrabass.html

My subwoofer is 525W, but it'll trounce and £100 subwoofer . :)

Last edited:
Soldato
How much are those subs, i would prefer just buying the actual speaker and making my own box tbh, a totally custom setup, not sure about amps and what tower speakers or sat speakers are good enough.

Soldato
jeus christ man, and thats a sub, you could build a better one for cheaper than that :\, get a decent sub like those Kicker things or JBL things, make a box, you would have better than that, anyway 4000 or 1800 pound is wayyyyyyyyyy too much, i was thinking of getting a custom Hi-Fi setup for inbetween 200 and 400 pound, fair enough if it is not superquality, just high quality. all i want is 2.1 (tower speakers maybe or some decent bookshelf ones) and a decent sub, one of this page: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product_list/pg/3/c_path/60_64_113/spd/12-subwoofers.html

Suspended
Don't use a car driver in a HT, it just won't work. I recommend you browse av forums, or avs forums.

For a good subwoofer I would put £400 into that alone, plus whatever it costs for the rest of the system. Checkout Adire range of drivers. For the rest of the Hi-Fi/HT I would look at Rotel stereo amplifiers, at the very least, and £100 for a pair of standmount speakers.

I have a SVS 20-39 PC Plus btw.

As for the Contrbass subwoofer it has 2 drivers, and 2 passive radiators, and is servo controlled. Like I said you don't need a lot of power if designed right...look here.

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

Soldato
car drivers work just fine. i've proved that. I don't understand why your talking about 4k subwoofers when the OP wants to spend 1/10th of that on his entire system. talk about waste of time.

also willhub: you need to start forgetting about RMS values and peak power and size of magnets....none of that is remotly important. if you want a decent system on the cheap, get a pair of second hand missions or wharfedales - something like the m71i/m72i's, and a cheap second hand amp to drive them - cambridge audio, denon, nan if you can find a working one cheap enough..... that'll be the basis of a great system.

Thinking about building cheap woofers in to wardrobes...forget all of it. Id also suggest asking over at avforums if you want to go custom. Some very well informed people on there:)

Last edited:
Suspended
james.miller said:
car drivers work just fine. i've proved that. I don't understand why your talking about 4k subwoofers when the OP wants to spend 1/10th of that on his entire system. talk about waste of time.

Can you prove it?

Anyjust just winding him up, if he's serious he would get a premade subwoofer kit...too much work if you don't know a thing. You can't just slap any old car driver into a box and expect it to perform under room conditions when you have recommended box size for the car.

I would look at Adire subwoofer kit, or checkout BK Subs, couple there at £400 I think.

Soldato
i did prove it, didn't i just say that? for all intents and purposes what i have built performs similarly to a mid range REL. I didnt notice anybody complain when i demo'd it. And for £150 all inc (including the amp) its wins all round for me.

no, that's why i said...

if you thinking about a sub you need to design and build the box properly otherwise it will sound like a bag of crap. you'd also need an amp to power it, a crossover to feed the amp ect ect.

which is exactly what i did.

Suspended
So you built a subwoofer with car driver, so what? Do you want a medal What does that prove? Nothing.

How can you prove to me it will be as good as a subwoofer kit with known and tested parts/box size?

Soldato
get over yourself i dont need to prove it to you. What the hell are you talking about 'do you want a medal' :confused: . what makes you think any subwoofer wouldnt work? why wouldn't my particular sub work? given that i choose the sub because of its TS parameters over anything else.....tell me - why wouldnt it?

Last edited:
Suspended
james.miller said:
get over yourself i dont need to prove it to you.

Yes, yes you do. If you're throwing "advice" especially to a noob about something you done, prove it. And I mean more than just photos and details of the parts. Done proper ABX blind testing of several people? Response graphs?

I've made a teapot of chocolate, it works well...but I don't need to prove it -works well...just take my word for it.

Like I said, there are plans available for specific budgets, if you want to go DIY. here..

http://www.adireaudio.com/

Soldato
Yes, yes you do. no i dont If you're throwing "advice" especially to a noob about something you done didnt, prove it already did. And I mean more than just photos and details of the parts i couldnt care what you think, honestly. Done proper ABX blind testing of several people? yep, one of them owned that REL i told you about Response graphs? only an estimated plot based on the TS's in free-air and with in-room gain, nothing ACTUALLY measured in room...yet

No, i dont have to prove anything to you, but thanks anyway. oh you'd better read the thread again if you think its me telling him to build anything. it's better me telling him to check out avforums and ask there rather than you showing him 4k subwoofers. you should get off that horse and start reading properly, maybe with a little less aggression. just an idea. If you would have bothered to read, you'd have known that pic wasnt even in reponse to one of his posts.

oh and you never answered my question
given that i chose the sub because of its TS parameters over anything else.....tell me - why wouldnt it?

Last edited:
Soldato
james.miller said:

also willhub: you need to start forgetting about RMS values and peak power and size of magnets....none of that is remotly important. if you want a decent system on the cheap, get a pair of second hand missions or wharfedales - something like the m71i/m72i's, and a cheap second hand amp to drive them - cambridge audio, denon, nan if you can find a working one cheap enough..... that'll be the basis of a great system.

Thinking about building cheap woofers in to wardrobes...forget all of it. Id also suggest asking over at avforums if you want to go custom. Some very well informed people on there:)

Ok, so i got to start forgetting about RMS, its just i thought the higher the better, like your surely not going to be able to get a 100W rms sub or a 200w RMS sub to beat somthing thats say 500W rms or 5000W rms aint you?

I dont really like these wharfdale subwoofers, i just want to make a box, and get a decent sub for it, i linked to a page on the last page, had a large selection of subs on, you see, i would prefer to make a box, then have the sub showing like on james picture of the sub inside the wall, thats so cool, but i would like somthing like 2 10" subs, but whatever size is the best for clear bass, my dad would make the box, my uncle could help as he is preety good with wood and all tht, and they both know enough to make a decent one, i could proberbly get any wood needed for free etc.. all i would need to think about is getting the sub, and 2 decent speakers, all its for is listning to music, but dunno if you know allready, i do like lots of bass, i have loads of bass testers that i play all the time and i always overload the z5500's sub, that why i need somthing better for music, bass thats louder, and prefrebly speakers that can go louder. mahn i see an argument has broken out, obviously i cant buy a 4grand sub, and never would unless money grown on trees, main reason i would like 2 subs instead of one is, well 2 look better :p, i know your proberbly thing i am stupid becouse i think 2 subs look better, but i think 2 does anyway, even my dad tells me looks dont matter, but they do to me :), i dont know if 2 10" subs would be better than 1 12" or somthings or 1 15" sub would do, but dont 12's give more punchy bass than a 15? i only asking becouse i seen this on another forum.

Back
Top Bottom