Can you still buy bass' ? >.O

Suspended
Well the subwoofer is designed d to work with the 5500 speakers (subwoofer high cut) so adjust the subwoofer volume so that it provides low end, but not so much it becomes obvious over the other speakers. Most people have their subs too loud.

If you're unsure, buy a sound pressure meter and use pink noise test tone, and calibrate each speaker to identical speaker levels.

Soldato
with a properly set up sub, you shouldnt be able to tell where the bass is coming from, it should provide low end extension and give you a fuller sound

my REL Q100e has slam mode for boom boom boom, and depth for the proper sub sound :)

in all fairness i have it on slam, just suits my sort of music better :o

before you ask why i have a sub on a system comprising of some mission 773e's and a technics AV amp, my dad was upgrading and gave me the lot for a bargaintastic price :D

Suspended
Smiley Man said:
before you ask why i have a sub on a system comprising of some mission 773e's and a technics AV amp, my dad was upgrading and gave me the lot for a bargaintastic price :D

A good subwoofer can play bass music, lower and with lower distortion than 99% of floorstanders, including yours. Playback some bass heavy DVD's with your mains to large, subwoofer to off, and you'll probably notice the bass from your Missions is flabby and uncontrolled. In fact it's quite easy to blow the bass drivers. My mains have a similar F3 point to yours, but the subwoofer is several magnitudes better than the floorstanders in the bass area. By diverting bass from the speakers to the subwoofer the amplifer has more headroom, and you will notice clearer midrange.

Oh I had the 100E, it's ok when not pushed but if you like it loud and deep it's not brilliant. Massive difference between that and my sub. If you can afford to upgrade, I would :)

Soldato
squiffy said:
A good subwoofer can play bass music, lower and with lower distortion than 99% of floorstanders, including yours. Playback some bass heavy DVD's with your mains to large, subwoofer to off, and you'll probably notice the bass from your Missions is flabby and uncontrolled. In fact it's quite easy to blow the bass drivers. My mains have a similar F3 point to yours, but the subwoofer is several magnitudes better than the floorstanders in the bass area. By diverting bass from the speakers to the subwoofer the amplifer has more headroom, and you will notice clearer midrange.

Oh I had the 100E, it's ok when not pushed but if you like it loud and deep it's not brilliant. Massive difference between that and my sub. If you can afford to upgrade, I would :)

i cant afford to upgrade, and i'd rather spend my money on some holidays with the lads this summer, the sub is way overpowered for my room anyway, i never use it anywhere near its full potential. no way am i getting rid of it though ;) cant justify spending dosh on something thats working fine and is perfectly good enough for me

i'm running line level? inputs so both the missions and the sub are getting the same signal. imo it sounds a lot better than letting the amp sort out the sub crossover frequency

i dont need to try and fancy stuff with films, i use it for music and nothing else, and it sounds good to me :D ive got my Grado's for when i want better

Suspended
i'm running line level? inputs so both the missions and the sub are getting the same signal. imo it sounds a lot better than letting the amp sort out the sub crossover frequency

Make sure you adjust the crossover filter on the back of the subwoofer..you'll want it around the Missions bass drop-off point. If you set it to slam, with abc to max crossover will be too high (depending on the abc) upto 240hz, you'll get a lot of booming and for a sub 240hz is way too high (ideally 60hz for music, if bass management is used so 60hz point for L/R speakers) I found it quite boomy on slam, sounds much better on depth with the crossover around 30hz-40hz (if sending L/R full range, no bass managment) then full range to sub, using crossover to cut 40hz>

Soldato
i have been thinking, my sub on me z5500 is really like bass is wierd, i think i need to set up the X-FI xontrol panel properly, there is THX console thing with bass managmenst and one of games, but i am tottally unsure how to set up so these z5500's work properly, could anyone help me, possibly do a remote assitance?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom