1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancelling Direct Debit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NotAGolf, 19 Apr 2010.

1. NotAGolf

Wise Guy

If I cancel a direct debit at the bank rather than by telling the people taking the money, does it put a 'black mark' against my name or anything like that? Possibly something that could show up on credit checks?

Reason I ask is that I'm going to cancel my gym membership but they say they need a month's notice. I've still got 2 weeks til they take my monthly fee so was wondering if I could just go into the bank and cancel it and save myself £30?

Thanks.

2. ColdAsIce

Soldato

Give them the months notice or they can chase you for the money. You agreed to the terms and conditions when you signed the gym membership.

3. Engram

Hitman

There's nothing dodgy (or unusual) about cancelling a Direct Debit yourself. But as ColdAsIce says, you agreed to give them notice and I would imagine they will pursue you for the money.

4. One More Solo

Capodecina

They don't say they need a month's notice for a laugh, just give them the notice and pay up your last month. It will save a lot of hassle for everybody concerned.

(Gym administrator)

5. The Funktopus

Mobster

On the subject of Direct Debits, I've been paying for a gym monthly, and was somewhat surprised to turn up today to find the place shut and the equipment being dismantled and loaded onto vans. It had originally been due to shut at the end of the month due to the gym's management getting into a dispute with the owners over the cost of the rent for the next quarter, and I had intended to move to a DW Sports gym next month anyway as my present (or past rather) gym lacked free-weights, which I thought was starting to hold me back.

But, I digress. My Direct Debit for April has come out of my account on 2nd of the month, and has been for the full monthly amount. Is there anyway I can claim some of this back? I realise it'll only be for for about £10 or so, but I'm slightly annoyed by the fact that the only communication we as member's had received from the management about the pending closure had been a copy of a letter dated the 7th posted on a noticeboard, announcing the closure and stating that the gym would stay open until the end of business on Friday 30th.

6. Engram

Hitman

You may be covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee. Contact your bank and explain the situation.

7. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

I canceled a gym membership by simply canceling the DD 6 years ago. Have heard nothing since.

8. mame

Sgarrista

For the cost of a months gym membership, it's not worth the trouble. They will have a set procedure in place for people who do this and will probably sell the 'debt' to some 3rd party agency who will hound you for costs etc. You might get away with it if it's a council run gym, I'm not sure, but not if it's one of the big name gyms.

On a side note, I don't think gyms should be allowed to have contracts. I know that they have an outlay on equipment and staff but I don't see how it's any different to a cinema, restrurant or loads of other things.

9. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Mine was a "big name" gym. 6 years, have heard nowt.

10. Cuchulain

Sgarrista

You're not defaulting on a credit agreement so nothing will appear on your credit reports, you'll probably get a snotty letter but I seriously doubt anything else will come of it.

11. stoofa

Capodecina

I can't believe anyone is suggesting that simply cancelling his DD is a good idea.
    So he saves himself £30 by not paying his final month.
    There is then a chance his debt will be sold and within a month his original £30 becomes £60.

The OP has signed up for a 12 month contract and knew the T&C's before doing so.
    As no gun was placed at his head when a signature was obtained, he should stick to the agreement.

12. Dolph

Man of Honour

You can cancel the DD at your leisure, but it doesn't change the fact that you owe the money that would have been taken from it.