Canon R5 and R6

Soldato
OP
I think people are overly focused on the 8k video capabilities.

For a still camera they offer a lot. Especially the R6 which has a lot of what the 1dxiii has at a fraction of the price.

Associate
Do we know if Canon closed the gap with Sony sensors in dynamic range with new tech. or by lowering the megapixels in the R6? I think 20mpx is plenty, I'm using a Nikon Z6, but definetly intrigued by the R6.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm finding the R6 quite interesting as a potential upgrade from my old 5D3.

I thinned out my gear a while ago when I stopped doing weddings so just have the 5D3 and three L lenses now.

Sticking with Canon would obviously let me continue to use my existing lenses (with better support than using them on a different make body) but then I'd have the dilemma of whether to keep the 5D3. If I did then I'd have a dilemma with any future lens purchases of going RF and having them not work on the 5D3 or sticking with EF for compatibility.

Ugh it's so confusing. The R6 does seem to offer a lot over the 5D3 though (more-so than the 5D4) as it's obviously 8 years old now.

Soldato
OP
Just stick with your EF lenses. With mount no reduction in AF speeds (sometimes improved).

I'm waiting on decent wildlife photographers reviewing the R5. So far good feedback....

Soldato
Just stick with your EF lenses. With mount no reduction in AF speeds (sometimes improved).

I'm waiting on decent wildlife photographers reviewing the R5. So far good feedback....

Yeah that's my thinking too.

Whilst some of the RF lenses offer some (marginal) benefit over their EF counterparts, some actually look inferior in some ways. The RF 70-200 for example, is now an extending barrel design and I vastly prefer my EF 70-200 to that.

Soldato
There's me considering the 7D, 7D Mk2, 80D and 90D, but I'm not even particularly interested in those now because I just found out about this R6. The animal AF is insanely good! It almost guarantees perfectly sharp photos everytime. I wouldn't need another camera again.

I'm not interested in the video side of it, don't care about any of that. All I want is the animal, face and eye AF and the IBIS. Apparently the AF detection is better than on the Sony cameras.

But £2,499! If a used one comes up on mpb or a grey import appears in the next few months for under £2000 I think I'm going to have to buy one.

Does anyone know roughly what it might cost to buy an EF-RF adapter, and a tele converter to multiply the reach of my 300mm Tamron lens?

Soldato
There's me considering the 7D, 7D Mk2, 80D and 90D, but I'm not even particularly interested in those now because I just found out about this R6. The animal AF is insanely good! It almost guarantees perfectly sharp photos everytime. I wouldn't need another camera again.

I'm not interested in the video side of it, don't care about any of that. All I want is the animal, face and eye AF and the IBIS. Apparently the AF detection is better than on the Sony cameras.

But £2,499! If a used one comes up on mpb or a grey import appears in the next few months for under £2000 I think I'm going to have to buy one.

Does anyone know roughly what it might cost to buy an EF-RF adapter, and a tele converter to multiply the reach of my 300mm Tamron lens?
Never used them before but seems a good price and in stock.

https://gabbys.co.uk/products/canon...e&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping

Soldato
Thanks, yeah, I'd seen that one earlier today, but still a bit too much for me at the moment, particularly as I'd also be buying an adapter and tele converter. I might be overly optimistic, but if used ones eventually start appearing around £1800, and I sold my 5D 2 for around £350, then £1450 would be less painful.

Back
Top Bottom