Canon Wide Angle - Sharp, High DOF, High F-Stop

Associate
I'm after a auto focus wide angle lens for my 6D that is very sharp and produces little distortion.

I'm struggling to find much info from lens reviews when shooting at higher apertures. I am likely to be shooting at around 5.6-f8+ as I will need full focus of the scene, at approx 4m.
24mm would be ideal, however if a 35mm is significantly sharper and distortion is not truly correctable with 24mm I can go 35mm. CA is not acceptable.

I have been looking at both the 24mm and 35mm Sigma Art Lens's. However understandably most reviews concentrate on wide open and bokeh, I am after the opposite. I can find little acurate info on how they perform with when trying to take a fully focused shot. I am aware most fast lens's perform optimally at around f4-5.6 however detailed comparisons at these settings I am struggling to find.

I have a feeling that maybe a slower lens will perform just as well or even better. However it seems slower lenses appear to be of a lesser quality, I am sure there are exceptions to that, I would like to be aware of them.

Any advice appreciated.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestion, I shall take a good look at that lens. A cursory glance suggests it gets relatively good reviews. I have the 17-40 whilst it's pretty good for what it does and can produce stunning photos. On a technical level I am unable to resolve the detail I need.

I'll be shooting tripod only, and Pixel peeping to the extreme. I think a prime will be needed, as any accidental adjustment to the zoom will be very destructive between shots. I don't think it is possible to lock the zoom otherwise without glue.

Associate
I'll be shooting tripod only, and Pixel peeping to the extreme. I think a prime will be needed, as any accidental adjustment to the zoom will be very destructive between shots. I don't think it is possible to lock the zoom otherwise without glue.

I can understand you wanting a prime for maybe superior IQ but I can't really see how you'd accidentally adjust the zoom though, glueing it seems a drastic measure. Surely you'd be using a remote release or the self timer anyway so you're hands won't be near it. I've maybe kicked a tripod a few times but then it wouldn't matter what lens was mounted on the camera in that situation.

Soldato
Well I guess the ultimate wide/ultra wide lens is being ignored here but that's probably down to the price tag? ;)

Canon EF 11-24mm F4L is supposed to be very good for IQ and minimum distortion despite doing ridiculously wide but you'll need use of your savings or a credit card hehe

Soldato
I have the Sigma 24mm Art lens for my 6D - there is a little CA wide open (bright to dark edges) but it goes completely from F2.0.
It certainly has less CA wide open then the Canon equivlinent.

Like Phal mentioned - If you have the cash and don't mind the weight then the Canon 11-24 is THE only wide choice.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ohh my days... That is a pricey one. I may have to rent both and test. At that price point I would have 2 options for roughly the same outlay.

5DSR + cheaper lens like the sigma
or
EF 11-24mm f/4L keep my existing body (and sell my own to finance the lens)

Normally I'd say glass over body..However 50mp...... time to ponder... Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbh if you're going to a 50MP body then you need the best lenses to make use of that so the 11-24mm would be the natural choice and failing that, I think the 16-35mm F4L is probably the second choice if you don't need the 11-15mm range?

Back
Top Bottom