Can't activate Dual-Channel with XMP Ram on Ryzen ?

Associate
Hello all! I hope somebody can help me out
I'm having trouble activating dual-channel on a Ryzen system.
The single sticks of RAM boot and work perfectly one by one but when I try to insert both RAMs for dual channel the system won't boot at all (not even bios screen).

So here's the details:
I have a RAM kit of G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 F4-2400C15D-16GVR PC4-19200 8Gx2 DDR4-2400 CL15-15-15-35 1.20v Intel XMP 2.0 Ready

Motherboard Gigabyte B350M with Ryzen 7 1700 AM4

The system works perfectly with 1 RAM in the slot 1, but if I fill slot 1 and 2 (i also checked the motherboard manual, the slots are also the same color so all good there), the computer won't boot at all, no bios screen.

One thing i noticed, is that when in the bios i leave everything on auto, it sets the Tras timing to 36, and boots. the rams are specified Tras 35, I tried to set manual timings to 35, but is the same, with one ram it will boot correctly with either 35 or 36 no problem (i do check in cpuz after it boots) but when i put in the second RAM it wont work with 35 nor 36.
I also tried to activate XMP just in case , turns out with XMP enabled it wont boot at all not even with one ram! it will then reset itself to default automatically, XMP disabled, and then boot normally (with one ram...)

Is there any way i can setup the system to be able to boot with both rams in dual channel 8+8GB ? any specific manual timings or any other options ?
I can post bios pictures if it helps, just ask me.

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sure its 1 and 3? not 2 and 4?
I had a typo in the text, it's slot 1 and 2 (i edited it now) But yes i Checked board and manual it's slot 1 and 2 (that phisically is the third slot, of the same color of slot 1) for 2 module dual channel, and I'm filling 1 and 2 but it does not boot at all, so I have only one module in slot 1 now ...

I triple checked manual and writings on the board, im 110% sure im using the correct slots must be something else ... so what could it be? ... :S
(I tested both rams individually in single channel they both work perfectly and boot, but if I put both in, it will not even show the bios screen and get stuck with no video output ...)

Last edited:
Soldato
This is from the motherboard manual :-

Dual Channel Memory Configuration This motherboard provides four memory sockets and supports Dual Channel Technology. After the memory is installed, the BIOS will automatically detect the specifications and capacity of the memory. Enabling Dual Channel memory mode will double the original memory bandwidth. The four memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following: Channel A: DDR4_2, DDR4_4 Channel B: DDR4_1, DDR4_3

Looking at the picture of the motherboard the slots starting from the CPU socket are labelled :-

4 - Black
2 - Red
3 - Black
1 - Red

The manual contradicts it self on which slots to use which is not very helpful !

I would try 1 & 3 to see if it makes any difference or 2 & 4. Also update the BIOS to the newest version as well anyway.

Associate
OP
This is from the motherboard manual :-

Dual Channel Memory Configuration This motherboard provides four memory sockets and supports Dual Channel Technology. After the memory is installed, the BIOS will automatically detect the specifications and capacity of the memory. Enabling Dual Channel memory mode will double the original memory bandwidth. The four memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following: Channel A: DDR4_2, DDR4_4 Channel B: DDR4_1, DDR4_3

Looking at the picture of the motherboard the slots starting from the CPU socket are labelled :-

4 - Black
2 - Red
3 - Black
1 - Red

The manual contradicts it self on which slots to use which is not very helpful !

I would try 1 & 3 to see if it makes any difference or 2 & 4. Also update the BIOS to the newest version as well anyway.

Thank you very much for the effort I really appreciate it !!
I have was trying to put the 2 rams in the red slots, i will now try the 2 black slots instead, will update this in 10 minutes, thanks! :))

EDIT: Sadly nothing to do .... I tried two red slots, and 2 black slots ... same result - black screen stuck with no video output or BIOS screen .... it gets so stuck that even the RESET button won't do anything, the only way to turn it off from stuck is to keep pressed the POWER button ... :( (i do let it run for a minute or 2 just to make sure that if the motherbord is changing settings/timing to try make it run does have time to do that ) ...

any other ideas what this could be ?? could it be possible that the ram is not compatible ?? it is very strange !! My BIOS is all default, i have not edited and have never overclocked or tweaked anything at all ....

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the problem is the two black slots are 4&3 and the two red slots are 2&1, You need to try slots 4 (black) & 2 (red) . Or failing that 3(black) and 1 (red). Look to the right of the memory slots on the motherboard and it tells you which slot is which.

DDR4_2 Is slot 2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom