cant believe things in the IT world are this bad

Permabanned
crashuk said:
£5.71 per hour on a 40 hour week, in the city of london and the Financial Sector.

You've (inadvertantly) hit the nail on the head. This job is in the *financial* sector, not IT.

For city banks, IT is an enabling department. A bank's IT department isnt there to make money - its there to enable the banks employees to do their jobs, allowing *them* to earn the bank money.

Most of the software will be built by external consultancies, and you can be sure that *those* staff will be on more than minimum wage. All this job is for is to solve the 80% of problems that can be solved by local, in-house, support, so as not to incur the (considerably larger) costs of going back to the suppliers 2nd/3rd line support.

At this level, an IT helpdesk worker is on a par with a cleaner - they're necessary for the job, but easily replaceable. Hence the low wages.

Man of Honour
I get £7 an hour for frontline support in bristol with zero experience and never having a job before.

pwned tbh.

Edit: in reference to the minimum wage temp work.

Caporegime
Graduates, these days, are little better than trained monkeys - It's no longer an indication of a jobs requisite skill that it necessitates a degree.

In the past 10 years, the level of skill needed to be in IT support has decreased by an order of magnitude or more, so it comes as no surprise that a job is paying that much.

Invariably, the package will be commensurate with the work (and location, no doubt), and will attract the appropriate calibre of applicant.

Associate
Dustbin men get more than that!

If they want a years' experience, how much did they expect them to be on before?

I've seen first line stuff at 25k.

Permabanned
OP
Visage said:
You've (inadvertantly) hit the nail on the head. This job is in the *financial* sector, not IT.

For city banks, IT is an enabling department. A bank's IT department isnt there to make money - its there to enable the banks employees to do their jobs, allowing *them* to earn the bank money.

Most of the software will be built by external consultancies, and you can be sure that *those* staff will be on more than minimum wage. All this job is for is to solve the 80% of problems that can be solved by local, in-house, support, so as not to incur the (considerably larger) costs of going back to the suppliers 2nd/3rd line support.

At this level, an IT helpdesk worker is on a par with a cleaner - they're necessary for the job, but easily replaceable. Hence the low wages.
its there to save them money, so in a way your making them money.

Permabanned
D4VE said:
Thats bad for London, after you've paid the train fair theres little left.

Outside London that is to be expected IMO.

Not at all. You can rent a flat in Hackney for less than 400 quid a month (including bills & council tax), and thats within cycling distance of the City.....

Permabanned
OP
So if you hire someone with that low wage then your asking for trouble
1) He will consume more time so it will be more expensive because he dont ave the skills
2)The guy would just walk out if he's had enough.

Soldato
I don't like this whole 'Graduates are useless' malarkey. We do actually have some skills having spent 3 years + studying. Granted levels of experience is quite low, however with a good degree you do not have to start on 12k answering the phone. I had a grand total of 0 months work experience (apart from the obvious student jobs) and I after 6 months I'm earning a respectable 22.5K in London.

Permabanned
crashuk said:
So if you hire someone with that low wage then your asking for trouble
1) He will consume more time so it will be more expensive because he dont ave the skills
2)The guy would just walk out if he's had enough.

Cobblers.

For the simple reason that low paid jobs attract low-skilled people - if they could earn more they would.

If the bank thought they needed a highly skilled person they'd offer more money.

Soldato
Making about 14k a year in a Catholic school doing sysadmin work. This is why i'm going back into the electrical field. They did'nt even ask for qualifications, i was reccomended for the position by their former admin. I've got all my MS and A+ Network+ certs etc.. but i don't care squat about em, my 14yrs in IT as a hobby and job is what i draw on for knowledge.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Visage said:
Cobblers.

For the simple reason that low paid jobs attract low-skilled people - if they could earn more they would.

If the bank thought they needed a highly skilled person they'd offer more money.
not these days in IT.

Permabanned
crashuk said:
not these days in IT.

This job is only notionally in IT.

Its not software development.
Its not systems admin.
Its not hardware development.

Its someone sat in a cubicle with a headset following a scripted response to common problems. The fact that those problems are with computers are irrelevent. They might as well be using abacuses. (abaci?)

Back
Top Bottom