cant believe things in the IT world are this bad

Soldato
crashuk said:
any govenment project
lol, the NHS IT project, the JobcenterPlus IT upgrades etc are all examples of just HOW wrong they can get it, (not to mention the ID card) I don't understand who they go to for quotes, but whoever it is they must be a monkey, as they either a) under quote or b) don't know what they are doing.

Permabanned
VeNT said:
lol, the NHS IT project, the JobcenterPlus IT upgrades etc are all examples of just HOW wrong they can get it, (not to mention the ID card) I don't understand who they go to for quotes, but whoever it is they must be a monkey, as they either a) under quote or b) don't know what they are doing.

The companies know exactly what they're doing (At the time the NHS contract was awarded I was working for one of the (unsuccesful) consortiums bidding).

Offer a low bid to get the deal, and then stiff the client when you're too far along for them to scrap the whole thing - they have to pay rather than cop the political flak for wasting the money spent so far.

Companies like IBM, Accenture and PwC dont make billions from messing up bids ;).

And besides - its irrelevant to craskuk's point - he alleged that a company would employ someone knowing that the employment would cost them money overall.

Permabanned
OP
heres another one

£18,000 - £25,000

The successful applicant will have experience in an IT support role which will include management of Unix/ Microsoft Servers. You will also have experience of Oracle databases and SQL, while any SAS knowledge would be beneficial. Ideally you will have good communication skills as you will be working closely with clients and collegues.

Permabanned
crashuk said:
heres another one

£18,000 - £25,000

The successful applicant will have experience in an IT support role which will include management of Unix/ Microsoft Servers. You will also have experience of Oracle databases and SQL, while any SAS knowledge would be beneficial. Ideally you will have good communication skills as you will be working closely with clients and collegues.

Perhaps you'd be more persuasive if you posted links, rather than descriptions and rates with no context?

Caporegime
Visage said:
Perhaps you'd be more persuasive if you posted links, rather than descriptions and rates with no context?
In all fairness, he's posting examples that contradict his own statements.

Permabanned
OP
Rover, when it comes to government hiring people into government sectors to make it look like rate of unemployment is low is that good enough for you.

Last edited:
Caporegime
PeterNem said:
Or the NHS move the goalposts... Sometimes the client is just as much to blame as the contractor.
The typical government IT project - Open ended, bottomless pockets and free-reign to hire kids from the jungle gym.

Oh - and run along prince2 principles. Ye gods.

Permabanned
crashuk said:
Rover, when it comes to government hiring people into government sectors to make it look like rate of unemployment is low is that good enough for you.

I think you're saying that the government paid rover to employ people to keep unemployment figures down.

Is that what you're saying?

Soldato
Visage said:
The companies know exactly what they're doing (At the time the NHS contract was awarded I was working for one of the (unsuccesful) consortiums bidding).

Offer a low bid to get the deal, and then stiff the client when you're too far along for them to scrap the whole thing - they have to pay rather than cop the political flak for wasting the money spent so far.

Companies like IBM, Accenture and PwC dont make billions from messing up bids ;).

And besides - its irrelevant to craskuk's point - he alleged that a company would employ someone knowing that the employment would cost them money overall.

My company won NHS Scotland and that's ticking over nicely, so I don't think all Government contracts are doomed to fail :p

Permabanned
SiD the Turtle said:
My company won NHS Scotland and that's ticking over nicely, so I don't think all Government contracts are doomed to fail :p

I absolutely agree. You never hear about the ones that work.....

Caporegime
SiD the Turtle said:

Its a sad fact of life that the only government projects that you'll hear about are the ones that go wrong. I've personally worked on 2 PFI projects that have gone live with no major hiccups and there's not been a dickie bird about them in the news.

What does suprise me though, is whenever you hear about a government project gone bad its usually either EDS or Accenture who are behind it. Why do the government keep giving them work? :confused:

Permabanned
Visage said:
I absolutely agree. You never hear about the ones that work.....

True mine worked and was stamped and launched by the minister of health who was well impressed, its still used in NHS establishments ;)

However all the bad press is not about the package but about the company who attempted to steal it and brand it theirs :)

Associate
PeterNem said:
Or the NHS move the goalposts... Sometimes the client is just as much to blame as the contractor.
Nice work covering our backs there. ;)

Slightly O/T - when's your start date? Mine's Monday - no more slacking about for me.

Permabanned
PeterNem said:

For which the contractor (if they've worded their contracts correctly) gets amply rewarded.....

Back
Top Bottom