cant believe things in the IT world are this bad

Suspended
triggerthat said:
I will be in the process of applying for placements in the next few months and I was wondering if you should shed some advice when it comes to assessment days. I have a 'finalised' CV of which could do with a looking at by someone like you considering you have been through the entire process.

Keep your cv releavant to the job you are going to get (with any job). Most placements will require that you fill in an application form now to comply with equal opportunities and all that. When I was looking for a placement last year we had all these stupid lectures about creating a cv but I used one ive had for ages and it got me the job.

This years placement has earned me so much in terms of experience that could never be done at school, college or uni. Things like setting up users in active directory, using exchange and logging in to servers to do different tasks. Why doesnt uni teach you about things that are actually used in jobs and create some sort of fake business to run things like backup restores and checking mailboxs etc? would be much more usefull

Soldato
Visage said:
I wouldnt be so sure - they may say otherwise in their recruitment stuff, but the rules are bo no means set in stone.

As a new graduate (with a 2:2) I got a job as an IT consultant with IBM Global Services - which are in exactly the same marketplace, jobs wise, as Accenture and the other big consulting companies.

Heheh with Accentures application form if you didn't enter the form field as 2:1 or first, they told you that you didn't meet the minimum requirements and to go away! If I recall both IBM and MS were nice and say apply anyway even though I miss the minimum reqs, but I was turned down for both.

Still, happy where I am, though I could always do with more money. :D

Suspended
Curiosityx said:
Graduate + No Experience = No Money

School Leaver + 2 - 4 Years Experience + Recognised Certifications = Lots of money!
I was offered a job on £27k with no experience whatsoever, and that's before I had my degree. An example proveth not the rule, but it does show that your 'simple equation' might not be that simple after all.

Back
Top Bottom