Can't connect over wifi to router anymore

Soldato
Hi,
I have a netgear DG834GT (http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/SuperGWirelessRouters/DG834GT.aspx) which has been working fine... until today.

Yesterday, or the day before (Can't really remember) i upgraded it to V1.02.13, but after upgrading it there were no problems (i even upgraded it using a wifi connection...)... only today when i tried to use it did it start to not work.

i can use it fine using a ethernet cable, and i've tried connecting from two computers (over wifi) that were both working fine before today.

I can see the router in the windows wireless connections window, and start to connect, but it just stops at renewing your ip (that is if i have no ethernet cable plugged in). if i try with the ethernet cable in it appears to connect fine (and says its connected)...but i pull the ethernet cable out and it isn't working (still says its connected though)

Any idea what it is/what to do? Was thinking of "upgrading" it to a previous version of the firmware, but not sure if that will just create more problems.

Soldato
You should not do upgrades via wifi always cabled connection as some information may be lost as the update is done! try reupdating it via the cabled computer and see if it works then.

Soldato
OP
I think the settings are the same.
Somehow though my main computer can connect (I didn't change any settings - it just started). My wii and laptop can't though. Laptop (not tried wii) can connect fine if i have no authentication on (no wep or whatever). But even when it is on all the settings appear to be correct (and normal computer works fine)

Associate
Clear out ALL the old wifi passwords and settings on the wifi connected pc's and reenter from scratch paying particualr attention to the key settings open shared etc.

I've had several XP PC's seemingly revert to default or old or automatic connection settings that should have worked but didn't. Clear out and reneter can elimiante this cause. but make sure you zap all of them so windows does not fall back to a defailt with bad settings.

As above firmware updates can zap settigns on the router, occasionally browsers or AV software have also stopped router settings being fully applied (check ALL router settings survive powering off the router).

Back
Top Bottom