1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't connect to network

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by daztrouk, 18 Jan 2006.

1. daztrouk

Hitman

we have an office network. Normally, when we bring a pc into the workhop, we plug it into the network via cat 5, click on start, then run, type in the address of a shared drive and we can then gain access to it. However, we have just brought in a laptop and when we try this it comes up with the error 'the network location cannot be reached'. The lappy managed to connect to the internet fine via this connection, however it won't connect to the network. No protection software on the system, so im out of ideas???

2. Berserker

Man of Honour

You'll have to go through the network settings and look for any out-of-place setting - e.g. check that file and printer sharing is turned on, IP addresses make sense, etc.

3. daztrouk

Hitman

thats the thing, everything seems fine.........

4. BigBoy

Soldato

sounds like a firewall blocking the port to me,i use to get this all the time when connecting a new rig to my network at home.

5. daztrouk

Hitman

no firewall on the system, norton removed, windows firewall disabled...