Cant get Kyro II GFX Card to work?

Soldato
I am getting annoyed at this now.

The best card I seem to have for Linux at present, is the good old Voodoo 3... Its flawless yes, but its lacking in a lot of things, and so, I want to try out the Hercules Prophet 3D ( Kyro-II ).

I just cannot get it to play nice at all?

I have D/Led several drivers for it, in src, and both RedHat, and Mdk RPMs but I just cannot seem to sort it out???

I am thinking about upping the O/S anyway, so does anyone know if there is a distro that supports the Kyro out of the box?

I have also got a couple of spare GeForce 2's here too, so I might just try one of those out with the better drivers, because at least they give me X.

They are an MX 200 and an MX400... Ok, so 3D isnt as fast as the Voodoos is, but 2D must surely be faster

Anyone?

Soldato
OP
Oh yeah, the GF Cards work a treat.. I know that, but they work very slowly as they are just using standard drivers... I have the NVIDIA Linux Drivers that I was talking about k, not the built-into-linux ones.

The Kyro gives me absolutely nothing, but the installation is very much the same... Have this in the modules, dont have that etc etc etc... The Gf and Kyro are opposites if I remember!

Well, *********************************** me sideways, today I realised another problem.

My keyboard port is on its way out.

The thing is that I have bought myself a cordless key/mouse and it was poo, so I bought another.... That was poo also, and so I went back to the normal one, but guess what?

Anyway, it only does this on the Iwill KK266 ( Athlon 1.4 ) and not the XP, so I may need to do a bit of soldering soon, but failing that I will try out a USB Keyboard... If its ok in DOS then I dont see why it wont work in Linux.... hmmm..

Arc

Arc

Associate
A GF2 MX400 is a lot faster than a V3 in both 2D and 3D (although the iq aint as good imo), especially if you get the latest nvidia drivers for linux. These will give you full OpenGL acceleration and a fairly decent 2D performance boost.

Soldato
OP
Ok, I have robbed my lads Duron 1.3 for a bit to get things sorted.

I have now managed to get both the Kyro II and the GF2 MX400 running fairly well, although I have not tweaked anything, they are running a lot better than I was expecting.

I still say that the MX400 is way slower than the Voodoo3 at 3D.
I say this only by how the MesaMorph3D Demo goes, and how Armegetron plays... I get 90FPS on the V3 and just 35 on the MX, and the Mesa Demo plays so smooth and flawless, but slow, while the V3 is blindingly quick, however, if you look very carefully, you can see that its not actually drawing it properly?

No matter as I dont really play that much games under Linux ( except I have the UT2003 Demo installed and I want to see how Win98SE and Linux handle it on the Kyro ( Win98 Dualed on this system for a bit just to try it out and the Kyro handles it fine )

Still going to get the USB Keyboard though purely because I want to see how Linux handles it... I will get a USB Mouse too I think.

Actually, I am going to get a couple of PS/2 to USB adapters first, but, I am dead sure that many USB Keyboards are just PS/2 with the adapter anyway!!!???

Back
Top Bottom