1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Accelerator Pedal

Discussion in 'Motors' started by bobby_valentino, 17 Oct 2009.

1. bobby_valentino

Gangster

I really like the long accelerator pedals: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/interior/misc_pedals_bmw_manual_smg_lg.jpg... found in most cars compared with the skinny ones: http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/store/image.php?type=T&id=16789 ...

When were the long style pedals first introduced into cars? Iv noticed most if not all mercedes have them and BMW's and some VW's. Does anyone know a brief history of these type pedals?

Can the vauxhall corsa which has the pedals like on the second link posted above be changed to the new accelerator pedals (first link)

Thanks.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2009
  2. Morba

Caporegime

full links would be good ;]

doubt they are interchangable though as the pedal link/arm comes from a different direction in the 2 types.

3. m4cc45

Soldato

I think I know what you mean.

Technically there's no reason why it could not be done though changing it would mean some bespoke work.

I personally prefer the ones in the BMW (long ones flat on the floor) but they all do the same job I guess.. :D

M.

4. bobby_valentino

Gangster

Sorry...there u go.

5. bobby_valentino

Gangster

The long thin ones look so much better then the old style. Just makes the car pedals look a bit more slick and professinal. tehe

6. Clarkey

Capodecina

who cares what they look like, they are under your feet :/

7. manic_man

Mobster

afaik, the "long slim" types you refer to are traditionally racing car pedals, they allow for easier heel-toe action, so no suprise that a company like BMW who like to tread that fine line between sporty and comfortable luxury, would introduce soemthing like it into their models.

With regards to them being inter-changeable, I would have thought not as they will pivot from different places.

8. Lopéz

Man of Honour

The style you like are floor pivoted ones. Generally found in BMW and er, the original VW Beetle I think. Take a bit of getting used to but yes I quite like them too, my 1985 320 had a floor hinged throttle.

9. Bug One

Capodecina

All the pedals on my Baja (beetle) are floor pivoted.

I suppose that means its not an overly new design. :p

10. miniyazz

Soldato

My dad's old VW Transporter Mk3 (1985) had a floor-pivoted accelerator too.

11. Thomas. PLease.

Soldato

my 190e has a floor hinged style one as well

12. BigglesPiP

Capodecina

I've never driven a car with a floor pivoted throttle, but I can't see myself liking them?

13. Clarkey

Capodecina

Try one, pretty comfortable to use tbh. I can't heel and toe in the e46 though, probably more to do with the spacing though.

14. BigglesPiP

Capodecina

This is one of my concerns, It's easy in the 146.

15. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Why is it a concern? It's really a big deal is it?

16. richolmes72

Wise Guy

I personally find 'organ' (floor pivoted) style pedals weird - I've driven 100s of cars and stilll find it odd.

I'm changing the XJ for a 7 series soon so I'll see how I get on.

17. DRZ

Soldato

I find it strange to drive cars without floor-hinged acelerator pedals now, my last three cars have had them and I personally find them far more comfortable to use.

18. Jez

Caporegime

Much prefer them, although pretty much every car i have owned has had a floor hinged pedal so i guess i am used to them.

19. Moeks

Sgarrista

I prefer floor hinged throttles too, unfortunately Jaguar does not share my preference.

20. BigglesPiP

Capodecina

Well, technically no, but driving a 1.2 econobox isn't really a big deal either.

The pedal wouldn't stop me buying a car, but it's a factor I'd consider, I'd probably tolerate it for RWD.