Car/commute advice

Associate
I am in two minds about which route to take out of the following...

I currently commute about 60 miles per day between Walsall and Solihull, which means that I have to 'endure' the M6/M42 (the M6 is currently down to 2 lanes with a 40 MPH speed restriction).

Each journey can take anywhere between 40 and 2 hours!

At the moment, this is costing me about £7 per day in petrol, and I am racking up c. 18,000 miles per year, including personal mileage.

I am about to change cars, so do I....

a) Purchase a diesel car to reduce my monthly fuel bill to below £100. I would be looking at something like the Fabia vRS, Focus TDCi Sport, or Ibiza Cupra TDi (the latter being rather expensive to ensure - I only have 1 years NCB).
I have driven the Fabia and Focus, and whilst they are economical, I wasn't overly keen on the power delivery on a Diesel. I think I would be buying one of these for convenience/cost saving, rather than sheer driving enjoyment.

b) Catch the train to work.

This would involve an 8 mile commute, a 20 minute train journey, and a 15 minute walk to my office.
With this option, I can obviously open up my car options. My original choice was a Focus RS, but it attracts too much attention, and I would feel uncomfortable leaving it unattended at a train station car park all day.
Therefore, I would probably get something like a black Clio 172 or 182 (and save a few quid in the process). This option would allow me to actually buy something that I will enjoy driving.....

Which should I go with - convenience, or driving thrills?

Excuse the waffling - long day....

Soldato
RussZS said:
Must be costly in your DC5?

I guess I am being a tight sod....

Nope, on a cruise it'll do 33 mpg. Problem with that of course is you need self control, which I lack, somewhat.

As for the mileage - I just dont care. I'm keeping the car and when it gets to 80,000 I'm going to have a race spec engine put in it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom