Car Hifi - DIY or "get a man in"?

Associate
OP
Its an 06 Focus with a factory fit double din CD/Radio.
Their price breakdown is roughly something like £240 for the 103BT, £30 for the adaptor cables, £35 for the iPod cable and £30 for the steering column adaptor cables.
The 104BT is £270 as its just a silver 103 with cables included...apparently.

Soldato
So easy I would only ever get someone in if you have to dismantle the dash/doors to do anything, a simple hu swap over would be diy every day of the week!

Soldato
True that, its pretty straightforward though the Mk1 is easier. Hardest part is getting the bloody unit out, even with the correct (4) keys its a PITA....cut the hell out of my hands doing my Fiesta at the weekend :(

Soldato
5 quid for a double din fitting plate? from halfords? you obviously don't know the price of things.

harness adaptor - £10-£15
Fascia adaptor - £35-40
antenna adaptor - £5

total
£50-60 for parts alone.

I paid £15 for my single din fasica adaptor from halfrauds. I don't think i even needed a harness adaptor....the alpine unit i had fit straight on.

Soldato
£100 to fit! bloody hell mate, i'm surprised you even asked! do it yersell, even if it takes a bit of reading then it's a skill you'll have and will be able to do it again and again

B@

Soldato
DIY it, take a free afternoon and do it! Save £100 and learn about your car.

check out focus forums, there will be 100s of guides on how to do this.

Gav

Gav

Associate
I paid £15 for my single din fasica adaptor from halfrauds. I don't think i even needed a harness adaptor....the alpine unit i had fit straight on.

double din plates are more expensive.. for example... bm5 5 series.. £10 for a single din and £100 for a double din.

Some cars don't need a harness adaptor - older vauxhall, vw etc...
Ford's do require one.

I would normally charge £50+parts to install one so the guy who quoted £100 including parts was pretty spot on.

Associate
OP
ok, parts ordered and arriving tomorrow. Is there a special or part number for the flat "keys" that release the standard head unit? Would halfords stock them or anyone here fancy lending me theirs for a few days? :)

Soldato
the Ford unit is the rounded barbed type is it not? My Mk1.5 was.

These:

pc5-83.jpg

If it has 4 holes in the front of the HU, it will be them.

You can half-arse it with a wire coathanger if you are apt enough with some fiddling.

Also, The MK1.5 is not Double din. It is like 1 and 3/4s.

Soldato
Who would pay someone to install a HU? In fact, halfrauds are so good at it, they have burned out 2 cars over at fiatforum...

Just do it yourself, it's a piece of ****. I even found money in the dash when I changed mine.

Associate
I'd spend a few hours looking up guides on the internet before spending money on having someone else install it. It's (normally) by far the easiest job in car audio, and I'd certainly only pay someone if they were cheap, quick and the car was particularly notorious for HU replacement.

Back
Top Bottom