Car hire excess insurance

Soldato
I've got 7 days car rental (Auris) booked for Iceland next week from Hertz. I think their excess is around £1400-£1500, and although they sell their own "SuperCover" if I want to avoid paying the excess, it's only available for purchase upon collection. From reading around online, i gather I would probably pay for the nose for it; they don't give a quote now.

I've done a quote comparison to get excess insurance (insurance on insurance /rolleyes), and it's only £10-£15 if I buy it now from the UK, but the providers are companies i have never heard of e.g big blue cover, MRL insurance, insurefor, carhireexcess, bettersafe, reducemyexcess, etc.

Any recommendations on providers?

Soldato
I have used a similar firm in the past (albeit whilst in the UK), and it was excellent. I had an occasion when someone keyed my hire car, and I had to pay £650 out of pocket. I made a claim on my £35 annual car hire insurance policy, and the £650 out of pocket charge was refunded to me via BACS in about a week. If you do end up getting into an accident, do make sure that you get every detail written down and picture taken, as any car hire excess insurance claims adjuster will want to see everything.

Have a look at review websites for these companies. Several of the companies do get consistently high ratings, like https://www.trustpilot.com/review/carhireexcess.co.uk.

Soldato
My brother got his hire car hit in services and claimed on his excess insurance who paid out without a police report and only on photos. Think it was near £800. Made me get it for the future, as long as you can afford the excess on credit card etc it's worth doing.

Back
Top Bottom