Car Hoover Recommendations

smr

smr

Soldato
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can advise of a decent car hoover which doesn't cost the Earth, I don't really want to spend much more than £100.

For home I have a Gtech, used to have a Henry which are great, but a bit bulky and it died. Can't beat them for suction power, something the cheap cordless handheld vacuums don't have.

But then I don't want to spend hundreds on a cordless handheld which is what the premium brand names seem to go for.

So are there any decent cordless handheld vacuums for around £100 or am I better off just investing in another Henry Hoover?

Associate
Definitely just get another Henry, they are the workhorse of Hoover's and probably the reason so many commercial cleaners use them.

I've got a Charles (can use wet as well), it has put up with so much abuse over numerous DIY projects where a lesser hoover would have packed in, and it just keeps on going.

Alternatively, I think Screwfix do their own variant that is supposed to be as good - I think basically if a Builder et al would buy it, you're good to go.

Soldato
I'd advise against a cordless for doing a car. We have 2 Dyson vacuums...one is a cordless one and the other is an older, upright traditional style. When you're inside the car, the cordless vacuum suddenly becomes a big, bulky nuisance. I bought some attachments for it designed specifically for car interiors, including a hose, and that just made it even more of a faff; most cordless vacuums use a trigger, rather than a power toggle switch. So you have to brandish the vacuum in one hand to hold the trigger, while using the other hand to move the hose nozzle around.

I don't bother anymore. It's far easier to use the traditional vacuum...stand it outside the car, turn it on, then just pull the hose into the car with you. And more powerful, too. So yeah, I'd say go for a Henry or something, unless there's a really good reason to go cordless (such as lack of power sockets near where you're cleaning the car).

Soldato
I'd advise against a cordless for doing a car. We have 2 Dyson vacuums...one is a cordless one and the other is an older, upright traditional style. When you're inside the car, the cordless vacuum suddenly becomes a big, bulky nuisance. I bought some attachments for it designed specifically for car interiors, including a hose, and that just made it even more of a faff; most cordless vacuums use a trigger, rather than a power toggle switch. So you have to brandish the vacuum in one hand to hold the trigger, while using the other hand to move the hose nozzle around.

I don't bother anymore. It's far easier to use the traditional vacuum...stand it outside the car, turn it on, then just pull the hose into the car with you. And more powerful, too. So yeah, I'd say go for a Henry or something, unless there's a really good reason to go cordless (such as lack of power sockets near where you're cleaning the car).

100% agree. I just grab the Miele when I’m doing inside the cars.

Associate

100% agree, I done the same for our shark (what the wife replaced our Henry with) and bought a car detailing kit for the car. The vacuum was completely useless in the car, not even suction very bulky and difficult to move around. I recently decided to buy myself a vacuum for DIY and using in the cars. after looking around I found some for about £50 didn’t want to spend to much. The screw fixes Titan is fairly decent from all the reviews I read, but I ended up buying a Karcher WD2 wet and dry vac what was reduced to £40 at the time. It does the job very well, no Henry but at that price I am happy with my purchase.

Soldato
I use our old Dyson upright DC07 or some such). The main cylinder brushes wore out so it wasn’t so useful in the house and got replaced, but still has excellent suction. I just stand it outside and pull the hose in with me.

Soldato

Ugh, I couldn't go back to corded again now. I bought one of the Vax blade ones a while ago and it's fantastic. One press button to turn it on so you can manouevre it easily afterwards, good suction and tools for getting into the mats and corners. Only problem is they are about £200 so double your budget, but I'd say it's worth it over extension cables and lugging a Henry outside.

Soldato
Ugh, I couldn't go back to corded again now. I bought one of the Vax blade ones a while ago and it's fantastic. One press button to turn it on so you can manouevre it easily afterwards, good suction and tools for getting into the mats and corners. Only problem is they are about £200 so double your budget, but I'd say it's worth it over extension cables and lugging a Henry outside.

Don't get me wrong, the cordless design is great for pushing around the house. But with a nozzle attached, the cordless Dyson is still a good 3/4 of a meter long I reckon. Not ideal once you're inside the car. Granted, I haven't seen the Vax, so it might be more nimble.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, the cordless design is great for pushing around the house. But with a nozzle attached, the cordless Dyson is still a good 3/4 of a meter long I reckon. Not ideal once you're inside the car. Granted, I haven't seen the Vax, so it might be more nimble.
Put a hose on the Dyson then. Only downside I find is needing to hold the button but I see you can get a thingy to hold it on.

Soldato
Put a hose on the Dyson then. Only downside I find is needing to hold the button but I see you can get a thingy to hold it on.

...which as I pointed out, makes it even more of a faff. Even with something to lock the trigger on, the hose isn't exactly long enough that you don't still need to keep hold of the vacuum itself, rather than leaving it outside the car. And besides, the whole reason cordless vacuums use a trigger is because they're battery powered. I think I get something like 6 minutes on full power out of mine. If I jammed the trigger on, I'm not sure that would be enough to go around the whole car.

Like I said, if you've got no choice, they are okay. They are even okay if I just want to give the seats or something a quick going over. But if I actually want to get in and give the whole car a good going over, a traditional wired vacuum is much easier.

Back
Top Bottom