Car insurance sees biggest price drop in six years

Soldato
A couple of years ago I moved from Leamington to Birmingham and went up from paying £380 to £600, just for moving..

Now I've upgraded to an Audi, and they've increased my insurance by another £200. Essentially paying the same amount as when I first started driving 7 years ago!
I did Birmingham to Zone 1 -> went from £600 to £1400 :(

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Mine has only ever gone down. It's due in August, and it was £171 last year. I'm not sure how much cheaper it can feasibly get :D

Ditto, this is about what i just renewed at on a per car basis too, 3L german cars too.

My brothers across the pond cringe at how cheap insurance is in the UK.

Man of Honour
Paid £350 last year. Renewal offer came in at £317

Went with the same company through quidco for £225 for exactly the same coverage and £35 cashback.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I find car insurance to make no real sense and generally a ripoff, my last 4 years (with lots of searching and calls):

E92 M3 (Manual) - £1760 (4yr ncb)
E92 M3 (DCT) - £1450 - (5yr ncb)
"" "" "" - £1570 - (6yr ncb)
F80 M4 (DCT) - £1650 - (7yr ncb)

When I see people paying £450 for a c63 it makes me think I'm being bended over :confused:
There have to be other factors at play here, those cannot be "normal" quotes as per the ones banded around in here.

I am not in Nottingham, but down in Oxfordshire a C63 or M4 would cost me a premium of no more than around £250-300pa on my multicar policy. £1000+ is into Trade insurance territory with MID access to drive anything.

Soldato
We are looking for our first car (automatic) once the wife passes her test. her as main driver (with full license) and me added on (me with Auto license once I pass my test) for a 17 plate Qashqai its £625 year which I think is good value really.

Soldato
There have to be other factors at play here, those cannot be "normal" quotes as per the ones banded around in here.

I am not in Nottingham, but down in Oxfordshire a C63 or M4 would cost me a premium of no more than around £250-300pa on my multicar policy. £1000+ is into Trade insurance territory with MID access to drive anything.

I've no idea tbh, maybe my age at 35 plays a part.. Parked on street at night etc who knows

I pay £550 for a 16 yr old Nissan Xtrail too which seems excessive

Caporegime
Mine went from £550 ish last year to £398 this year which was nice except I'd expect a 50 year old professional driver with no claims and 10+ years NCB to pay a bit less on a 2005 £2 grand diesel Volvo estate than my company director mate of similar years pays for his 21 plate £90K+ G30 M5...

where in Nottm are you? I pay £362 for a Ferrari and I'm in Notts
Silverdale Staffs here, it stinks here due to a local landfil, alas, so do our premiums it seems.... :/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

I'm paying about £800 for F80 M3, 2 driivers, business cover and 25,000 miles/annum, full NCB, parked in locked garage. I'm in Northamptonshire (NN postcode). When I lived in Bucks (MK postcode, 10 miles down the road) and it was parked on the drive the policy was ~15% cheaper!

I still think my policy is expensive, but hey...was the best deal I could get.

Man of Honour
A couple of years ago I moved from Leamington to Birmingham and went up from paying £380 to £600, just for moving..

Now I've upgraded to an Audi, and they've increased my insurance by another £200. Essentially paying the same amount as when I first started driving 7 years ago!
It was recently announced that the top 3 postcode areas in the whole of the UK for Crash-for-Cash are in Birmingham, premiums need to be very high there.

Underboss
its nice and cheap now

ignoring my renewal price (as its higher than elsewhere)

Comparison sites im getting quotes around £210, Fully comp, paid annually, upto 10K / year ALL extras (except breakdown cover) over 10 years NCB and 22 years driving, £100 voluntary Excess

parked in public car park all day and On the road at my house overnight

went on Quidco insurance compare and its dropped even further AND £35 cashback!

£165 from all the big brands pretty much :D

Soldato
I'm paying about £800 for F80 M3, 2 driivers, business cover and 25,000 miles/annum, full NCB, parked in locked garage. I'm in Northamptonshire (NN postcode). When I lived in Bucks (MK postcode, 10 miles down the road) and it was parked on the drive the policy was ~15% cheaper!

I still think my policy is expensive, but hey...was the best deal I could get.
Garage has always been an interesting one. It has always made my quote higher. I guess they have a risk around smashing through the rear wall or scraping the car.

Back
Top Bottom