Car insurance sees biggest price drop in six years

Soldato
Renewed in February 25% cheaper than the previous year, not including the £25 refund received mid-year like most.

My premiums have stayed fairly flat the last 6 years and this was the only and significant drop.

Soldato
Last year I paid £511 for a 2014 M135i with 20 years no claims, no accidents or claims at all. This year they want £537. Went on comparison sites and a couple came in slightly cheaper, but when I looked at what I get with Admiral for the money, adding on the extras and matching the excesses, meant that Admiral even with the increase were cheapest.

For a laugh I also did an incognito window quote on Admiral and filled in all the details for my car, person and address correctly, but changed my name and the quote was almost 3 grand.

I hate insurance.

Man of Honour
They think "I am amazing at parking, so I will never ding my car".

Sometimes it just happens :( with one vehicle I was doing the same, somewhat tight/difficult, manoeuvre through a gateway 100s of times in all weather, all lighting conditions - nailed it every single time. One day somehow I just brushed the post despite exactly following my tracks and muscle memory from previous times doing it.

Associate
VW is a fancy Skoda; Audi is a fancy VW; Bugatti is just a fancy Audi?

I imagine the autotrader advert being something along the lines of 'Brought to you by the same company who built the Buggati Chiron...." :cry::cry: (I mean they do that for movies, so why not cars!!)

I used to pay £1,100 for a Ford KA, so paying around £500 for a 3.0litre Z4 doesn't seem too much to me nowadays. The Fabia is around £390, but that's with only 1 years NCB, and 1 accident declared, so not too bad overall. Note the accident is against the missus, and is also declared on the Z4's insurance against her name.

Man of Honour
For a laugh I also did an incognito window quote on Admiral and filled in all the details for my car, person and address correctly, but changed my name and the quote was almost 3 grand.

I hate insurance.
Depending on what name you enter, you might trigger compliance screening whereby some insurers might decline to quote, because you are considered a 'person of interest' i.e. on a terrorism register or whatever (insurance companies are ripe targets for money laundering). Although I'd hope most are using more than just name for that.

Soldato
Depending on what name you enter, you might trigger compliance screening whereby some insurers might decline to quote, because you are considered a 'person of interest' i.e. on a terrorism register or whatever (insurance companies are ripe targets for money laundering). Although I'd hope most are using more than just name for that.

I think I might have just used John Smith as the name and my spare email, but everything else was exactly the same, maybe I should have put next doors address and that I was looking to buy it.

Soldato
Paying £235 per year for me and the wife to be insured on the Superb. Much cheaper than last year so really happy with that.

Underboss
its nice and cheap now

ignoring my renewal price (as its higher than elsewhere)

Comparison sites im getting quotes around £210, Fully comp, paid annually, upto 10K / year ALL extras (except breakdown cover) over 10 years NCB and 22 years driving, £100 voluntary Excess

parked in public car park all day and On the road at my house overnight

went on Quidco insurance compare and its dropped even further AND £35 cashback!

£165 from all the big brands pretty much :D

just phoned my insurance company and what i did not realise , the renewal prices includes all extras, PLUS a few "extra" like extra courtesy car protection, and motor legal protection, so the renewal price is actually better than the others , first time that's ever happened

i did a quote with this company with it identical and it was £260 ! so they've dropped it by £35

Soldato
yes looks good, from jan 2022; pity sky subscription tv not included, not sure about aa/roadside ?

So, cashback incentives are out, they can offer those toys, though

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-r...-loyalty-penalty-home-motor-insurance-markets
https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/policy/ps21-5.pdf
The pricing, auto-renewal and data reporting remedies come into effect on 1 January 2022. The rules on systems and controls, product governance and premium finance take effect from the end of September 2021.

Type of incentive Must be reflected in ENBP? Toys No Carbon off-setting No A percentage chance to win back the premium No Points in a retail loyalty scheme Yes Retail vouchers Yes Cashback Yes A free add-on Yes One month free Yes A monetary discount on the premium Yes A percentage discount on the premium Yes

Soldato
OP
All this will do is stop cheap deals for new customers and prices will actually increase.
This is what will happen.

What actually needs to happen is to crack down on all this data selling and BS personal injury claims. I got bumped from behind a couple of years ago, literally walking speed. Did a small amount of damage to my rear bumper which the other insurer (Tesco) dealt with.

But then Tesco sold MY data (they're not even my insurer) to about a million of these parasitic personally injury claims companies and for the next 18 months I was getting phone calls from them saying "£xxxx is set aside for you as a category C blah blah blah, all you have to do is claim it". Fix all of this **** and we'll see cheaper insurance.

Soldato
will this ruling take out the compare market/Lewis type comparison sites - where, they are getting a commission for introducing particular insurers. ?
they'll have to offer the standard ongoing renewal cost, not a reduced switch deal with a cut for them.

edit:
The insurtech boss explained: “The reason it happens is that price comparison websites are so important to insurers. The only way to win on price comparison is to be the cheapest. It’s rational to do everything you can to be the cheapest provider at minute one, and layer on a load of hidden costs and price increases later.”

Meanwhile Williams, who is calling for greater transparency in the industry, warned of possible tactics aimed at circumventing the proposed reforms.

“The most likely to me seems that they will give away ‘free’ but meaningless cover to more loyal customers and use that to justify the difference between new quotes and renewal ones,” he said, while also urging the regulator to ban cancellation fees.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom