Car making a ticking noise?

Soldato
Oh don't get me started on engine ticks, damn things. ...Well anyway yes it could well be and probably is a tappet.

Does the Fiesta have any kind of variable valve timing system by chance ?

Associate
I have a tick coming from my throttle body on a Saxo 1.1, gets faster with acceleration. Before anyone mentions no its not the tappets :p

Associate
I have a tick coming from my throttle body on a Saxo 1.1, gets faster with acceleration. Before anyone mentions no its not the tappets :p

Mine does the same. As my car gets warmer though it seems to get quieter. what about yours?

Soldato
OP
ok guys, il try and describe it a little better for you.

Its a very consistent ticking noise. It sounds like a metal tapping noise if you know what i mean. Its only noticeable when i accelerate, but I'll have a closer listen soon to confirm. It gets louder and faster the harder i accelerate, and is a lot louder with the window down. It sounds as if its coming from the front end of the car. Not really sure what else i can say.

Its a 1.25 zetec engine, petrol.

Soldato
Nope they are belt jobbies same engine as my car which makes a clicketty clack noise from cold I have a 1998 model though

Soldato
Did someone say these have hydraulic tappets?

If so, and if the noise is a tappet, a simple oil change may cure it. Get some nice new good quality stuff in there. Then after about a months it should clear up. Also, if it wants semi-synthetic, don't think fully-synthetic is blatantly better, tappets can be very sensitive to the type and grade of oil you use.

Back
Top Bottom