Car modification

Associate
Evening all,

I have just bought a new Mazda MX-5 which I am picking up in March. I noticed that Mazda have their own front splitters, side skirts and rear diffuser in the brochure. I haven't ordered any for the car however, I would like to have them in, let's say, a few months. Would I have to tell the insurance about them or could I get away as they are standard i.e. I bought the car with them on?

Any help would be appreciated,
trying to stay on the right side of the law

Caporegime
It's a modification from stock so they should be declared.
I recently had a similar discussion with my insurance company regarding things like the rear spoiler.

Associate
OP
It's a modification from stock so they should be declared.
I recently had a similar discussion with my insurance company regarding things like the rear spoiler.
Thank you for the quick response and for clarifying. Should I inform the insurance before I pick the car up that I will be putting X, y, z and pay upfront then or phone them up once I'm ready to put them on the car?

Caporegime
Thank you for the quick response and for clarifying. Should I inform the insurance before I pick the car up that I will be putting X, y, z and pay upfront then or phone them up once I'm ready to put them on the car?

Give them a call to say you're thinking of doing it. They may be more lenient than mine were. Make sure you're clear though that they were options when the car was purchased.

Caporegime
As a side note we have a great mx5 thread on here that you might want to take a look at!

It's called bring your curling tongs or something equally hair dresser related.

Soldato
Optional extras are manufacturer specification and most insurance policies that I've read only count a modification as something which has been added after the car has left the factory. If you bought a car with a load of option codes included, then this might affect the valuation amount, but this isn't a modification as such.

Associate
OP
Optional extras are manufacturer specification and most insurance policies that I've read only count a modification as something which has been added after the car has left the factory. If you bought a car with a load of option codes included, then this might affect the valuation amount, but this isn't a modification as such.
Hmm, will phone them and tell them what I'm looking at doing and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom