Car registration not matching car!?!?

Soldato
Call the DVLA helpline, it may just be an administration error from a car with a similar reg. Being they are both Rovers its quite possible that two or more Rovers have almost identical registrations except for one digit. Car manufacturers quite commonly used to register loads of cars before the new reg came out to bump up sales figures.

Ofcourse if it isn't a mistake the car needs to be dealt with before the garage off's it onto some poor unsuspecting sod.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/clonevehicle.htm

Soldato
OP
Well, I phoned the guy today about the car.

I told him that the V5 is exempt, so I'll need a new one before I buy it. To that he said that we should just forget it he'd rather sell it to someone else. He doesn't like complications in his life. :rolleyes:

I then asked him about the registration not matching the car. He said he's just MOT'd it using the chassis number and it went through the DVLA no problem. He said I must have the wrong registration number. I have a clear photo of the car and its registration plates from when I test drove it.

Looks like I'll be walking away from this one. The car was just a little too good to be true. :( I know he'll just sell it to someone who hasn't done these checks though. :mad:

Soldato
Agreed, report it. He obviously knows its dodgy, any decent car salesman would 1) have the new v5 anyway 2) be willing to get it to secure the sale (seeing as how the old ones are now obsolete).

Soldato
Not only does it sound very dodgy, but from his response it sounds like he knows it.

I would report it to the police and to the DVLA, maybe show them the photo too. The reg is clear enough.

You were lucky enough to see through this, but someone else wont be, and they will end up buying a dodgy car, make sure that this doesnt happen.

Back
Top Bottom