Car stolen overnight.

Soldato
It's been an interesting day today - starting with the kids asking me where the car was when I went to take them to school this morning :eek:. Unfortunately I wasn't pranking them as they suggested and the car was actually gone. I have (had) an X3 m40i which was a car I was planning on keeping for many years as it was so well specced and I loved it.

It has (had) comfort access, so I was always super careful to keep the keys in the back of the house out of the way, but it seems they were still able to get in it easily and start it up somehow.

Anyway, here's the obligatory video I caught on my Ring floodlight camera - if you see a blue X3 m40i like this for sale cheap let me know. :D:(
https://ring.com/share/cd9339c2-3535-4570-8f11-2f47af010fb1

Has anyone with comfort access had something similar happen? I'm also interested to see what the insurance company offer me, as the car basically had every option due to being an ex press demo car and I'll struggle to find one similar.

Soldato
I’m sorry to hear of your loss mate and glad you and the family are safe.

I’m astonished they’ve not just abandoned comfort access. The technology is flawed and the marginal benefit of convenience seems completely outweighed by the costs. I was so pleased when I found out my MC2 didn’t have it.

Soldato
I'm also interested to see what the insurance company offer me, as the car basically had every option due to being an ex press demo car and I'll struggle to find one similar.

I think this is why some insurers ask for 'factory options' to be declared as well as modifications, depending on your insurer you could end up in a bit of an argument.

Soldato
Or give all three (at least) of them a reason to come knocking for the keys...
It's a tough choice.

I don’t agree with this view. The chances are they don’t want trouble and will only go for easy targets. They’ll be getting paid to do this as discreetly as possible so I don’t think ending up seriously harming someone is in their interest.

Soldato
BMW, like many manufacturers , including Ford, have been beefing up the security of keyless systems so that the key stops sending out signals to the car after short period of time. Other than that a cheap bag does the job....

Associate
That definitely sucks man, I'm guessing the police will do sweet FA.

It's one of the (few) advantages of currently living in an apartment, my car is parked pretty far away comparatively

Soldato
I’m astonished they’ve not just abandoned comfort access. The technology is flawed and the marginal benefit of convenience seems completely outweighed by the costs. I was so pleased when I found out my MC2 didn’t have it.
Thought they had mitigated repeater thefts, by de-activating the key if there is no motion for a period of time.

Soldato
Is it possible they could have hung around a few weeks before, in the morning when you go to work maybe, and "catch" the code/signal from nearby as you enter your car?

The guy who appears at 54 seconds from the bottom right corner was likely relaying the signal from the house. Yeah though that will have used their gear in advance to determine it was keyless and likely wouldn’t have bothered otherwise.

Man of Honour
I don’t agree with this view. The chances are they don’t want trouble and will only go for easy targets. They’ll be getting paid to do this as discreetly as possible so I don’t think ending up seriously harming someone is in their interest.

Most won't be doing this off their own backs though there's a good chance there's someone above them leaning on them to do with stealing and they won't be the sort of people to accept "Couldn't get that one boss, didn't want to wake someone up".

There's been a few reports pop up around here recently of violent daylight car jackings of nicer motors in relatively public places, people with little to lose because they know they'll get a slap on the wrist at most don't really care what they get up to.

I'm not saying they're all going to be like that but it's something to be aware of when adding extra security in much the same way as sticking a massive lock on a door is no use if the wall next to it is plasterboard and they can go through that instead.

Associate
BMW, like many manufacturers , including Ford, have been beefing up the security of keyless systems so that the key stops sending out signals to the car after short period of time. Other than that a cheap bag does the job....

Wouldn't having to remember to put your key in a bag be just as much effort as popping the key in the ignition, kind of defeats the point.

Soldato
Most won't be doing this off their own backs though there's a good chance there's someone above them leaning on them to do with stealing and they won't be the sort of people to accept "Couldn't get that one boss, didn't want to wake someone up".

There's been a few reports pop up around here recently of violent daylight car jackings of nicer motors in relatively public places, people with little to lose because they know they'll get a slap on the wrist at most don't really care what they get up to.

You might be right mate but deterrence is still the best way to prevent you from becoming victim. Vulnerable security systems hand these scum the car on a silver platter so the incentive for them to have a go is there. If you could remotely press a button that ejects all the seats in the car and they knew that feature was installed they’re not going to bother! :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Wouldn't having to remember to put your key in a bag be just as much effort as popping the key in the ignition, kind of defeats the point.

When my keys are in the house they are in a shielded pouch, it sits by the front door and doesn't take any more time. It also stops my wife from dumping the keys at a random location in the house causing me to have to search.

Sorry to hear OP, it's sadly one of those things that in hindsight would have been easily prevented with a cheap shielded pouch from Amazon for £10.

Soldato
That definitely sucks man, I'm guessing the police will do sweet FA.

It's one of the (few) advantages of currently living in an apartment, my car is parked pretty far away comparatively

They'll do sweet FA because they've got literally zilch to go on. Clearly a team that knew what they were doing.

Interestingly i noticed the guy who opened it did the seatbelt without sitting down. I presume this is to stop the car whining about no seatbelt, but also gives him precious seconds if he needs to bail?

They need to punish car thefts more severely, these guys clearly aren't afraid.

Soldato

They generally don't want a confrontation but two-in-one car key burglaries are a common occurrence and have been for years. If three guys wake you up and want your keys, most people aren't likely to argue.

Soldato

Keyless entry is different tech to having a start/stop button. The latter still requires you to press the unlock button before entering the vehicle, you know, because that was such an enormous faff before someone thought it would be cool to just walk up to your car and jump in.

Back
Top Bottom